1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD! Overton Flyweight 200

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassfran, Aug 23, 2012.

1. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Endorsing artist: Lakland basses
    The Overton Flyweight 200, 200w @4ohms Class D micro bass head. Only weighs 2.1 lbs! :hyper:

Fresh outta' the box I plugged it all in, tuned up, and my initial impression is positive. Very flexible tone shaping, built in compression, and Overton's unique 'sculpt' control. Mute function, compressor, and sculpt features are all switchable from the front panel. Rear panel features XLR out with ground lift and level control, aux in, effects send and return, tuner, headphone, optional footswitch, and 2 speakon combo speaker jacks.

Seems pretty well-built, has quality components and great fit and finish. I researched a LOT of micro amps before I ordered this one and can't believe the amount of features available at this price point.

I'd personally avoided Class D amps for a long time but this doesn't sound sterile to me at all- I can't wait to thump it up with some flats.

Has some minor fan noise, (likely unnoticeable onstage), no audible hiss, and it's dead quiet when you shut it off- no pops!

Tune in for further updates after a couple of rehearsals and gigs.

Attached Files:

2. Congrats on that.

It definitely has great features at the price and seems to be very well put together. Nice sounding amp.

3. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Thanks, Doc- I haven't had a new amp in a long time, so I'm pretty stoked.

4. whered ya get it?

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    I'd be curious as to your impressions after some time/gigs with it. I keep eyeing the 500 watt, 1 rackspace version of these things.

6. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Direct from the distributor, but there are a few dealers out there.

7. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    I hear ya', Will. I figure if it works out I'd eventually upgrade to the 500 micro as well.

Can't wait to crank it up next to some drums.

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    First thing I look for is warranty, and theirs is 2 years, so that tells me they have confidence in the product.

I agree with Dr. P -- that's a lot of features.

I'd be interested to know the hinge point of the bass control and whether it's shelving or peaking. I suspect it's shelving because that saves some parts, but it'd be nice to know for sure. I just emailed Sales about this. I'll let you know what they say.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Wow, they got back to me fast. They said it's shelving, "roll-off" frequency = approximately 100, boost/cut frequency = approximately 50.

Thank you Overton!

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's gonna be nice for dialing in/out boomy, cavernous type rooms without gutting the good bass at the same time. Way cool. A feature I think should be on a lot more amps. The combination of sort of a high bass and low bass control. Helps you dial in some oomph outdoors too without sending the speakers flapping.

11. I'll be interested too. I only used mine for one gig. It was a fairly low volume, outdoor deal (acoustic guitar and vocals through pa and a traveler kit), but for that one, I thought it sounded just fantastic. Just nice, smooth, un-colored tone. No exaggeration in any part of the sound.

As a back up (intended purpose), I just didn't feel it had enough power, but I initially decided to keep it anyway. With the gear I ended up with, it didn't really have a solid spot in the line-up, so as much as I dug it, I decided the money from selling it would do more for me.

I actually went in after the 500, and if it had been available when I bought, I think that probably would have done the trick.

12. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Dr. P, just wondering if your FW200 was roughly the same volume as your MB200. That would give me a point of comparison before I spring for one of these.

Thanks in advance.........

13. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    Ok. Rehearsals are scheduled for Monday and Wednesday, then back-to-back gigs next Saturday w/2 different bands.
    Full report to follow. :bassist:

14. I don't know that I can help you with a definitive answer.

My initial thought was that the MB200 had greater potential, but I can't really say...especially because they were never side by side. Further, I never tried simply to see how loud either one could get.

I also recognize that I suffer from "knob-headroom syndrome." Even though it can be meaningless a between amp brands or models, I find myself pointing to the the clock position of the master when making comparisons. While I also know that as long as the cabinet is good with it, these things can be cranked, I just feel an irrational comfort in getting the volume I need at no more than 2:00 or so. I had the FY200 at 3:00 once. It may well have been the case that the volume would have scaled way up at 4:00...who knows?

All that said, I think that what ever difference there might be between the MB200 and FY200 in terms of volume, if one is going to meet your needs, the other one will too.

The biggest difference from my perspective was the basic character of the sound of each. I found the MB200 to be "colored" where the FY200 was much less so. I don't mean colored in a bad way for my tastes. It happened that I liked the character of the MB200's basic sound; fat and bright. I don't think either one does or necessarily can be made to sound like the other.

Those differences are matters of taste.

The downsides I felt the FY200 had were the lack of an overload/clip indicator and the auto-adjusting compression tied to the gain level.

In all other ways, especially the features, I think the FY200 has it all over the MB200. The mute and tuner out on the FY200, both missing on the MB200, were particularly high on my list since I had become very comfortable with the way these things worked on the RH450/750.

With a $13 tuner (Korg Pitchjack), the FY200 is completely hooked up.

pjack2.

pjack3.

15. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    I played for several hours at real working levels and despite being rated at 'only' 200 watts I thought it was plenty loud and sounded great.
    I used a Fralin-equipped parts Pbass with fret-eaters through a variety of cabs; a recent DNA 4-10, an older Ampeg 8-10, and my trusty Bag End S15 I.

Though I resisted at first, the best settings seem to favor keeping both the compressor and sculpt engaged- (I'll always turn that stuff off on an unfamiliar amp). My bass never sounded too squashed and the sculpt control fills out the low mids in a great way. Kind of like a 'more better' knob, really.
    I find the e.q. section to be a bit touchy, as in a-little-goes-a-long-way touchy, but still very musical. Maybe not as 'set and forget' as I'm used to, but there are a LOT of options under the hood for all you knob twiddlers out there.

The D.I. also got the thumbs up from the sound guys and I'm happy to report that there were no buzz or noise issues at all. I'll cast my final vote on this when I play at a notorious local roadhouse with ground gremlins.

The only weird thing about it is that it never got the least bit warm at all. Even after a 2 hour gig it remained at room temp.

I'll still want to use their B15 whenever I'm in the studio.
    But it looks like I'll be reaching for my Flyweight on the gig.

16. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That's pretty cool.

If, as dr. Pepper says, these are a little more un-colored, or not such a hyped, baked in, "signature sound", a little compression, or eq sculpting knob may not be a bad thing to sort of "put a voice" on them. That description reminds me a little bit of Carvin that seems relatively neutral, but has enough knobs to turn to make it sound like pretty much whatever...except dirty. Not that I need dirty out of the amp, it's just a comparitor

Dr. pepper.....you say the compression is tied to the gain knob, so presumably the higher gain, the more compression? Does it stay musical sounding at high settings? In my situation, the 200 watter would be run up to playing not clipped all the time, but near the top of it's abilities. The 500 would have a little left to give in most cases.

A decent DI, and a general "sounding strong" for it's power rating are definitely pluses.

17. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    @ dr. P--- I guess you didn't get a chance to run yours loud enough to check out the built-in compression thing at high output? Just wondering if it gets too squished or stays musical, meaning a little more "open" sounding, still responsive to at least some dynamics. I assume you can turn the compression off? I'd like to be able to turn it off.

18. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    @ bassfran--- I take it you were running yours maybe louder. Did you try it with the compressor off at high volume to compare with the compressor on?

19. bassfran

bassfran

Mar 1, 2012
    Chicago
    I've never liked using built-in compression on an amp because I can always hear it, even at the lowest settings. I don't notice this one at all. You can bypass only (no level control) and I did try every combination at a loud rehearsal.

I ended my blues rock gig last night with both gain and master straight at noon with all other knobs around 10-11 o'clock.

Of course now I just want another BE 15 cab to get me some more thump! :)

20. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That sounds promising. I'm always leery of built in compression stuff and would at least like the ability to turn it off. I don't use effects like that and like dynamic control coming out of my hands. Your take on it though, sounds like it wouldn't get in the way.