NAD Peavey century 120 bass may need caps.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimdgreat1, Apr 11, 2018.

1. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    Craigslist find. Peavey century 120 bass series with a 115 cabinet. I'll post the sellers pictures. Not looked inside yet. Imagine it needs updated, and a new power cord. I'll update later.

dRIw4kU.jpg

NuJMK9Y.jpg

spatters, Uncle Hanky and GreaserMatt like this.
  2. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    How old?

fEY684c.jpg

3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    Why would it need caps? Magic 8 ball say so?

Geri O, Sixgunn and BassmanPaul like this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe he meant these:

2F%2F2.bp.blogspot.com%2F-aCW3gcS_g6Q%2FUiNy8xdV15I%2FAAAAAAAAACU%2Fexn7oLPYG9o%2Fs1600%2Fimg153.jpg

5. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas

Almost 50 years old. Is everything inside still good? I wouldn't think so.

6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa Boogie, Development Engineer-Genzler (pedals), Product Support-Genz Benz
    I would say that it's 95% likely that there's nothing wrong with the caps. Maybe 99%, but that might be too optimistic.

Uncle Hanky and Kro like this.
  7. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    AC cord looks pretty bad at the grommet and is that an instrument cable plugged into the speaker output of the amp?

Early 1970s amp and cabinet.

EricssonB likes this.
  8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    By all means repair the AC power cord and insure that the chassis is properly grounded!

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    You can take a pair pf pliers and re-do that grommet if it's not broken; it just looks like the cord got pulled at some point... : )

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Whenever this sort of thing is seen on an amp, the wiring inside the amp should always be checked for damage. Always.

Aqualung60, dune2k and Stumbo like this.
  11. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    Someone pulled out the ground in the plug. I'll put a new cord on. It sounds great.

DrewinHouston and agedhorse like this.
  12. darkestsun

darkestsun

Nov 19, 2017
    South Dakota
    I used to own one of these, the best sound that I managed to get from was using a friend's '79 T-40. Ended up selling it to him.

13. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    I owned one of those in the 70s (first amp). Couldn't upgrade quick enough.....

agedhorse likes this.
  14. jimdgreat1

jimdgreat1

Sep 28, 2016
    Wichita Kansas
    Looks like the earlier version. Got the new cord on. Need to add a film capacitor.

oXHtgP1.jpg

15. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    They are great sounding amps...deceptively so.

But very bright...I can’t stand my treble past 9:00.

Check my threads about modding the output caps — it’s easy and inexpensive and makes a great sounding amp even greater.

Plus, you could just “alligator clip” the added caps to the output cap to hear what it’d sound like, and if you don’t like the change, you don’t even have to heat up your soldering iron.

16. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Why?

17. bigtone23

bigtone23

Dec 10, 2014
    Denver, CO
    I have the 200 version. Love that head, play mine through the same cab loaded with a Scorpion Plus 15". The distortion circuit slays. It is bright, the treble knob never goes above 8 o' clock here. FWIW, these lower powered heads benefit if you turn the mids to 10, bass around noon to 2 o'clock and treble way down, killer sound.
    As mentioned above, there is a thread on here about a simple parallel cap stacking mod that does really extend the tonality and punch of the amp.

18. P-oddz

P-oddz Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Milwaukee, WI
    There is a band, locally, whose bass player plays this amp through some unknown 2x15 cab. One of the best straight-to-amp tones I've ever heard.
    Such TEETH!

I almost pulled the trigger on one the week after we played with them, until the Reverb seller came back and told me all of the things wrong with it that he wasn't aware of until boxing it up for me.

Maybe someday.....

19. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Bobby Baldwin and I talked about the Century a lot, and my feeling was that its simplicity does a great job of duplicating the pure and direct sound of a tube amp.

Plus, the low damping factor gives it a “loose and lively” feel.

If I was to do it all over again, I’d still hardwire the parallel electrolytic output caps since I always want a wider low end, but I’d wire the film cap on a switch as a “presence boost” (nice to have when you’re running the amp clean, but nice to defeat when you’re running it into clipping)

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  20. Alex Guidetti

Alex Guidetti

Feb 13, 2021
    hi, I am a new registered user, I am very interested in buying a peavey century 120 or 200 but in Italy where I live it is nowhere to be found. I like that kind of sound would you help me find one
    thanks

sutarappa likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021