NAD: Peavey Max 115

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Doctor Intrepid, Feb 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Hello All

Got a new amp today, and I'm very excited! I quit playing for about 25 years and got back into it around 4 months ago. In that time I've spent some good coin on gear, and today this new amp arrived! I'm not planning on doing much with it, but I hope to find some folks to jam with.

IMG_20180223_210214.jpg I already have another bass on the way, and think i'll be able to get a nice variety of tones with what I've got. Nonetheless, there may be some pedals in my future. . .

But my wife has given me permission to explore my new amp tonight. I've created a 'bass space' in the basement, and bought some headphones, so tonight I think I'll be drinking beers and chasing tone!

jeff7bass, el jeffe bass and Stumbo like this.
  2. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I need to know how this sounds. I'm set home practice/ recording wise, but I wonder how this would compare to the old peavey stuff. (See my signiture)

3. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    I'm enjoying it! I've got some settings for the German made Hofner (fretless) and for the Hofner Ignition. These settings were based on using JVC headphones, since I have a 2 year old in bed. If you want I could send you some audio in the next few days when I have a chance. Keep in mind that the Hofners add their own unique contribution to the sound. I have the V63 set up for a Police type sound and the HI-BB with a woody, yet growly, sound. That's what I'm hearing anyway. IMG_20180223_234810.jpg

Mechayoshi likes this.
  4. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    Using tape for presets? I like that. Yes sound samples would be cool. Oh and let me know how it is if you ever get to crank it! :)

Doctor Intrepid likes this.
  5. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Will do. Chat soon.

6. ckolacny

ckolacny

Apr 5, 2015
    I use the 115 for small venues....great tone and easy loading.

7. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    I have been looking for a small combo amp to replace my aging Peavey Basic 60. Our local Guitar Center had a Peavey Max 115 in stock so I went in to test it out.

I could not get a good tone out of it. It has a lot of mids and sounded very thin. I messed around with the settings and got something I thought sounded "OK". Then I plugged into an Ampeg BA115V2 that was sitting next to it. There was no comparison. The Ampeg sounded great, nice lows and highs. Hands down vastly superior.

I was bummed out because the Peavey is priced great. And I find it hard to believe that the Peavey puts out 300 watts.

Sorry for bashing the amp you just bought, but wanted to share my experience.

8. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    No worries. I've enjoyed the amp a lot since I got it and have no complaints.

9. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    If it sounds at all like my Tour TKO 115, you'll love it! Nice grab!

10. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Wow that looks great! The Max 115 will serve my purposes, though, as playing is now a hobby for me.

11. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    This thing will rattle your teeth! Lol 20180218_174839.jpg

12. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, it looks great. Are you a member of the Peavey amp club? I've posted a couple time on their thread, and have been encouraged, but the person that gives out numbers has not responded yet.

13. ScrewDevil

ScrewDevil Guest

Feb 18, 2018
    No, I'm not in that club but I do like Peavy amps. Can't say my rig is a pleasure to haul around but it sounds great, gets loud and has seriously heavy duty build quality . Both the amp and the extension cab are very solid.

14. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    Yeah, mine is relatively light but I like the extension cab. I may get the Peavey multi-affects rack and equalizer just to add some tone flavor. Part of me, though, wants to get the GED 2112 and see what that sounds like with a Peavey and Hofner Violin bass. Could get interesting . . .

ScrewDevil likes this.
  15. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    It does not sound like a TKO.

16. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    If a Peavey plays in the forest does anyone hear?

17. tonybassman

tonybassman

Jul 27, 2011
    no. there is no power in the forest. :)

18. Doctor Intrepid

Doctor Intrepid

Dec 27, 2017
    IMG_20180504_230829.jpg
    I got my 68 Hofner this week, and, at first, I was struggling to get a good tone out of it. I was really deterred, and started to agree with you, when I tried the 68 through an older Peavey TKO and got a spectacular tone out of that TKO. So I went home and gave it more effort and patience and was able to get great tone out of the Max115. I guess it's true, 'a good craftsman doesn't blame his tools'. The Max115 easily produced a great tone out of some of my basses, but others took more work. So if you are willing to do the work this amp will reward you.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021