1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD - Phil Jones D4

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cavemanbass, Jan 24, 2018.

1. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    Was able to get a decent deal on one of these thru GC. Beautifully crafted little amp, with a lot of nice touches - input mute, aux input with level control, headphone out. I bought this for jams with my acoustic band - very light percussion, two acoustic guitars that are plugged in but very moderate levels. We spent several days recording recently, so I brought the D4 along to check it out.

I've read so many positive reviews of the D4 for such a musical situation, jazz gigs, and other acoustic settings. Sure I was skeptical about having just two 4" speakers, but there's that passive bass radiator...

Well, apparently this amp works for a lot of folks, but definitely not for me. I compared it side-by with an Ampeg ba10 (10" speaker, 40 watts). The D4 has a great tone, but just doesn't get deep enough and loud enough. I was using the power supply btw, not a battery. When I turned up enough to get satisfying boodie from the little package, it started farting out on louder notes. This was not a loud setting; the little 40watt Ampeg had no trouble getting those sweet, low notes to support the other musicians.

I ended up using the D4 together with the ba10, made for a real nice sound with lots of definition. I'm sure that I'll get some use out of it for practicing and maybe as a travel amp, but no way I would ever bring this to a gig except as a kind of midrange extension speaker if that was needed.

Obviously YMMV, just offering my experience for anyone that is interested.

velalv likes this.
  2. selowitch

selowitch

Aug 6, 2005
    Rockville MD
    I love mine for practice, rehearsals with my klezmer band, recording, and battery powered jams at the lake. It also works well as a guitar and keyboard amp. I get compliments all the time on the richness of its sound. It sure brings out the resonance of my Traveler TB-4P!

It doesn't really work for rock band rehearsals or gigs, although I haven't tried it with the extension cab (PB-100).

Sorry it didn't quite work out for you.