NAD Phil Jones Session 77

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by muddycreek, Aug 18, 2020.

1. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Looked around for a reasonable alternative to my daughter taking my 80's GK 200MB back and forth to school (assuming that happens again), mostly because it's temperamental, but secondarily it's a lot more my sound than hers.

GuiTarget had a used one for a good price, so I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the PJB 77, after some dithering on the interwebs.

This thing is great!! It's both deeper and clearer than the GK, with very simple, sensible 3 band EQ that's voiced really well for overall tone shaping without getting stupid. As a practice amp there are plenty of bands it wouldn't be enough for, but then again, plenty that it would. For her, playing with acoustic guitars and vocals with a small PA, or sitting in an orchestra pit, she will have plenty of volume on tap. The highs are handled by tweeter in a waveguide, and are much better than 99% of the tweeter equipped cabinets I've played.

It does a good job of straddling "HiFi" and "bass ampey," with just enough roundness to the bottom and smooth rolloff at the top, and without getting boomy or clicky.

Obligatory pic included... :) IMG_20200818_115443189.jpg

2. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    Looks great to me. How many watts?

BrentSimons likes this.
  3. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    Gotta add one more thing, a quick bonus I just realized after messing around.

The EQ is pretty subtle. It's plenty, but it's maybe the first amp I've ever been able to imagine using ALL the boost or cut in some instances. I also just walked through and played a bit with each EQ knob all the way up, and then all the way down. It's definitely the first amp I've ever played where every setting could potentially be usable in some situation. Some of that is BECAUSE it's sort of subtle- it doesn't give you enough control to really get yourself in trouble. But it's enough for any ra
    100w 4 ohm, no extension jack. It kind of is what it is. It sounds very, very good.

4. muddycreek

muddycreek

Feb 26, 2010
    I have no idea how i managed to edit my previous post AND reply directly to the question...

Razman likes this.
  5. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I’m new to the bass thing and still getting by with a Rumble 25, but the PJB stuff really intrigues me. Getting the sound and volume that he does out of these small arrays is very impressive. Reviews are almost always positive. Not cheap, but cool stuff, IMO.

6. Pazelaya93

Pazelaya93

Jan 2, 2015
    Homestead
    Just unboxed one of these things today. I agree. They sound great. All my basses are passive and despite some feedback. They all sound great coming out of that amp.
    I tested three guitars and three basses. And was super pleased with all the tone of all instruments involved.
    Epi Sg
    Donner strat type
    MR AEG
    GLARRY fretless p type
    GLARRY fretted p type
    Gibson EB4 2018

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021