NAD: pristine 1970 Ampeg V4B

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Chris 'Wighat' Jordan, Jun 15, 2017.

1. I have always wanted a Linden-era V4B but they are scarce as hen's teeth. I got this a while back from a TB'er. Thank you, @bassgod76. Man is it sweet. I'm gonna gig it tonight. I haven't looked at any date codes but I don't think it can be anything but a 1970....perhaps a '71 before Magnavox took-over or before they ran-out of Linden chassis.

20170615_161523.jpg 20170615_161504.jpg 20170615_161447_001.jpg 20170615_161428_001.jpg

2. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Nice looking amp. Great condition.

Mvilmany likes this.
  3. Thank you. I know! Hard to believe. I'm pretty stoked and more than a little apprehensive about taking it to a bar. But right now it's either this one or the 69 SVT because I sold my other V4B and my CL and B25 are both at the tech's.

beans-on-toast likes this.
  4. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2008
    South Florida
    That is clean! I need to look at mine, i think it's similar story... Need to check date codes. Mines a little beat up tho. Grats!

Chris 'Wighat' Jordan likes this.
  5. That thing looks like it's brand new. If you will haul it around at all, you should build, or buy a case for it!

6. True.

7. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Lovely!!

-robert

8. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    Likely 71-72 with the patent number.

Below is the back of my early 1970 V4, by mid 1970 they were black chassis but still patent pend. My 72 B25B (blue line, dated by components) still has linden NJ, my 73 V4 is a "division of magnavox" label.

OokLffV.jpg

9. BusyFingers

BusyFingers

Nov 26, 2016
    That faceplate is in exceptional condition for its age. They often loose a lot of the ink over the years through knob twiddling and switch flipping.

I ran a 70's V4 halfstack as a guitarist in the late 80's while playing in a thrash band. With a high gain distortion in front of that beast, it was quite like a freight train.

10. Great info, thank you.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    NICE!!!!

12. Gig report: this is the third V4B I have had and by far the best. Right away I noticed that the sound was "tighter". Versus my others, this amp has strength and fullness with more presence tone-wise. Also, strangely, I had the volume knob at 11 o'clock and with my last vintage V4B it would have been at 9 o'clock. Even so, at that volume this amp was cleaner than the last one.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
  13. Crusher47

Crusher47 Tattoo'ed Freak

Apr 12, 2014
    Fort Worth, TX
    Awesome!! Congrats!

14. kbakerde

kbakerde Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2012
    Looks fantastic. I was never able to get into the V4B. Picked one up in a trade, but just didn't hang onto it. I hope this finds you well, and gets a good amount of use for you. Nice pickup!!

15. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Richmond, Va
    That thing is in really good shape! Nice score!

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021