1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: Tecamp Black Jag 900 is here!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ncognito, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Ncognito

Ncognito Banned Commercial User

Jan 8, 2002
    Hoffman Estates, Illinois
    Owner, Xsonics Bass Cabinets
    Well it's here. Initial observations are: WOW. Truly unbelievable sound for 6 pounds. Glenn was right. The "Rock" control makes a difference for what I'm looking for. I think I could live without it, because the Tecamp sounds soooo good anyway. Fiddling around now, but 3 gigs this weekend will tell the tale.
    tecamp1.
    tecamp2.

2. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Congratulations!

That amp is VERY high on my gas list. :)

3. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Well gang, I've played 6 shows with the TecAmp Black Jag 900 and all I can say is WOW!!!!!

Hands down the most amazing amp I've ever played through, and I've had 30+. At 7 pounds it sounds, tastes, smells, and performs like a 90 pound all tube 300 watt amp. It absolutely sounds as good as any tube, or tube hybrid out there, and there are NO tubes in it.

Everything you've heard is true and more. TecAmp is THE real deal. I've owned 10 different switching amps and this one I can actually gig with. I can't say enough good things about the Black Jag. Try one and you'll be sold. I am truly amazed and blown away. I just can't play it enough!

4. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    Do the new ones use the Powersoft power module or the ICE?

5. Smallequestrian

Smallequestrian Rock and/or Roll

Jul 6, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Beta Tester: Source Audio
    ICE

6. TheArchfiend

TheArchfiend

Nov 3, 2011

7. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

I was mega impressed by what I heard at the TecAmp booth at NAMM. That Puma500/900 is simply amazing. Didn't get to hear or play the Jag, but it looked killer.

Nice upgrade/revoicing job they did with the Puma... still sounds like a TecAmp, but a bit more controlled down low and punchy/articulate in the mids. Perfect EQ points, and a ridiculously small form factor. Combine that with the lower price points in the US for the 500/900, and I think they are going to do quite well with these.

8. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    Hey KJung

Thanks for all you've said about the TecAmp stuff. You've been so on the money. I think anyone in the market for a light weight, GREAT sounding amp needs to check out TecAmp. It does it all.

I never thought I could be happy without tubes, but I was wrong!!!

9. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Please elaborate - does it sounds very tubey to you, or is it simply good enough to replace your favourite tube amp?

10. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Man, I really want to hear one of these alongside my Tone Hammer 500...

11. These newer Tecamps are getting converts quickly. Does the Jag have the same base tone as the 500/900?

12. Ncognito

Jan 8, 2002
    I used an SVT all tube for about 5 years and 1500 gigs. The TecAmp absolutely sounds like a tube amp. No question. Probably the best sounding, most musical preamp I've EVER heard. I telling you, the amp is amazing!!!!!

13. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Hmm...I don't like the sound of that to be honest, but then again we tend to hear things differently. :)

Thanks for your feedback - I am not sure the higher price for the Black Jag vs the Puma makes sense in my case as I am going for a clean tone 99% of the time. The Black Jag is in the same price range as the Mesa M9 which I am also considering. :bassist:

The Puma 900 is probably the most sensible option.

Decisions, decisions...;)

14. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Is the compressor always on? I can't tell if there is a way to turn it off, just from pictures. Is the fast/slow switch a 3-position, or do you dial the knob to 0?

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Ken, would I like the Puma 900?

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    I'm on the Tecamp bandwagon. I just ordered a PUMA 500 from Donovan Bankhead at Fretspot.com and for a killer price. I'm a slapper and this head will fit the bill. I don't need the boom, or bloom, or heavy bottom that a motown player would need or even a rock player or blues paler for that matter. I'm purely and subjectively a slapper that likes clean, piano string like sounding slap bass. When I play fingerstyle I back off the zing and add the punch. Funky percussive fingerstyle like on the song called colibri. The PUMA 500 will give me what I want. If i want boom I'll just cop a P-Bass and an ampeg b-15 or something. I'm one of those players that likes modern bass tones that seem to be eminating from Germany. Think Delano, Glock, Marleaux basses, etc. and Tecamp.

bassbooty likes this.
  17. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    :D:bag::D

18. DonovanBankhead

DonovanBankhead Banned Commercial User

Aug 25, 2001
    Springfield, MO
    Owner - FretSpot.com; Vice President - Springfield Music
    Treat people like friends and they want to spread the word! :D

19. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

IMO yes you would!!!! Kind of sits between Glock and the Genz stuff (as an oversimplification). A bit also like a 'fatter' Walter Woods... very clean, not 'flat' but very transparent (i.e., cleanly reproduces the entire range of the instrument in its own way).

Edit: Ooops... I was describing the Puma900/500. I have never heard the JAG. Munj, I would think you would totally dig the Puma900. Cleaner and purer than the GKMB800, for better or worse.

20. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    With the Jag, there doesn't appear to be a headphone out, as on the Puma. Can it still be used without a speaker load, for silent direct recording?

Also, the 900w/4ohm rating on this is from running it in bridged mode (also 600w/8ohm), so would there be any issue using just a single channel rated @ 300w/4ohm to drive a small 8 ohm cab at ~150w? Perhaps something like a C8? That would give this beast quite the range.