1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD: The hype is real, Mesa D-180

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by SlugThrower, Dec 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. SlugThrower

SlugThrower Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Just paid for and picked up a 1982 D180 from Seattle’s Bass Shop. Dang, M/B wasn’t kidding around when they made this amp. Bought it primarily for it’s OD, and man does this thing ever deliver the goods.

It has some quirks, though. The Master volume is very sensitive between 8.5 and 10, going from a sensible coffeehouse volume to ear-ringing levels. Like my 400+, I think it’ll take some time to play with, which is half the fun. Now the question is, should I use channel 1 for cascading gain stages, or should I go for the more traditional bass amp route via channel 2? Definitely liking the out of control channel 1 at the moment.
    57392EDD-5BD8-46B2-83B5-C5A3577AE1DB.

Ellery, metron, /\/\3phist0 and 3 others like this.
  2. Channel 1 is way too gainy for anything I do. YMMV.

3. Razman

Razman Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Me. Want. One. Some. Day.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  4. How much do you pay your roadies?

SlugThrower likes this.
  5. SlugThrower

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Nothing yet. I'm still young and strong :)

Plastalmonus and Pbassmanca like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

then i vote: have at it! way fun! it looks like it will handle! congrats! :thumbsup:

SlugThrower likes this.
  7. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Loved the D180, had one for years. The ch2 was grindy enough for me.

SlugThrower likes this.
  8. SlugThrower

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    This amp is so grindy, it's what all those boutique OD and distortion pedals wish they sounded like. In fact, I might sell off my Darkglass stuff.

Pbassmanca likes this.
  9. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    Congrats, I've got one of the early production (non-eq) D-180's too.

Hey what kinda rackcase is your D-180 in? Never seen one like that, looks like a Mesa road ready; but Its not a sus-4 shockmount like mine...

SlugThrower likes this.
  10. SlugThrower

Sep 7, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Yeah, it looks like a RR case, but it also looks homemade. Unfortunately the case didn't come with any covers for the face and back of amp. My 400+ has a nice road case, which i'll probably swap with the D-180 when I play out next.

anderbass likes this.
  11. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    It's a tone monster. I thought it sounded a little brighter and more "forward" than my 400-non plus.

SlugThrower likes this.
  12. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    That would just be the original style road ready headcase, way before the SUS-models came about.

SlugThrower, anderbass and dukeorock like this.
  13. G-Man60

G-Man60

Oct 19, 2015
    I have a D-180 that I originally purchased directly from MB in the 80s and the sales brochures stated that this head was actually designed to be used with either guitar or bass. I have used it for both and it is far more renowned for its bass tones than guitar tones. But if you take your time and play around with it in channel one you can get some great clean guitar tones and some screaming ballsy crunch if desired. There is another thread on the D-180 titled "my mesa D-180" where I relate a great story about using the D-180 for both guitar and bass in the same gig with both our opening band and with my headlining band. Enjoy your D-180 - they are wonderful amps!

SlugThrower likes this.