1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD-The Monolith!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gjbassist, Mar 31, 2013.

1. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    After nearly three weeks of back and forth emails with a guy here in town, I was able to acquire this yesterday! It's an Ashdown Mag 300 Evo II combo. This thing is a beast at nearly 100 lbs, hence the name "monolith". I haven't had much time to mess around with it yet but so far I really like how it sounds. Lots of tonal controls on it plus a compressor! Still trying to figure out what the subharmonic thing does.
    It is in like new condition. The guy I got it from traded me the amp plus an Ibanez SRX2EX2 bass, which is also in perfect condition. I guess he was planning on playing bass but only used them a couple of times then put them away. I traded a Cybex treadmill for them, which was actually worth quite a bit since it was a high end model like health clubs use. We were not using it and I had listed it on CL for a couple of months with no luck. This guy was the only one who gave me a decent trade offer for bass gear so I took it.

amag01_zps993121ba.

amag02_zps69baca2d.

2. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    Well, with the treadmill gone, a couple deadlifts of this guy will put you right in shape!

Looks mint! Love the way Ashdown looks.

3. gjbassist

gjbassist Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2005
    Kansas City, MO
    No kidding! I'm kind of surprised that Ashdown didn't put casters on this thing. That is something I will remedy right away!

4. TheAnalogKid

TheAnalogKid Yer Doin' GREAT!!!!

Dec 7, 2011
    Tacoma, WA
    Egad, that thing's a beast!!! I was anticipating a 1-15" or 2-10", but a 4-10"?? I dig the control panel, which to me, is reminiscent of something out of a 1930's/40's cult horror classic, with the weird knob configuration and input level gauge. The only thing missing is a "Jacob's Ladder", with the "Zzzzzip...Zzzzzip" sound effect.

"LIFE! DO YOU HEAR ME? GIVE MY CREATION...LIFE!" (Dr. Frederick Frankenstein, AKA Frohderick Fronkensteen)

5. Warning! I do not recommend using casters if you play with a pick. The initial pick transient, coupled with the subharmonic control may result in the unit either exiting stage rear, or plummeting into the mosh pit (depending on pickup polarity)

:bag: