NAD - This tiny amp is ridiculous...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Matthias, Oct 14, 2021 at 1:05 PM.

1. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    My 10 y.o. son needs a small practice amp to play along with acoustic guitars with my bass ukulele.
    So I bought a Warwick BC 10 (10W, 8", 6kg, 98€ new) and I'm absolutely surprised how good this teeny weeny cheapo amp sounds.
    I compared it to a Fender Rumble 15 and an Ashdown Studio junior and it just blew both of them away. While those 2 sound like a cardboard box and as wimpy as you would expect, the Warwick sounds like a grown up amp. Rock solid low end and waaay louder without any distortion.
    I'm really impressed. (My own rig is a GK 700RB into Barefaced BB2 btw...)
    20211014_185037.jpg
    And here is a spot on review:

2. SJan3

SJan3 Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2010
    Ct.
    Sometimes good things come in small packages.

Matthias likes this.
  3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    " You can turn it up all the way and it will not distort. " That's quite a claim.

BarfanyShart likes this.
  4. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Cool, right in the ballpark for what Ive been looking for recently. Just need to find a US vendor now.

Matthias and wintremute like this.
  5. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Well I didn"t try with everything dimed at the same time yet, but you can indeed use the full range of each control. Bass and volume both set at 3:00 works fine.

Aqualung60 and jnewmark like this.
  6. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Matthias likes this.
  7. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
  8. abarson

abarson

Nov 6, 2003
    Santa Cruz
    Shoulda known you'd be thorough. :thumbsup:
    But the warning about the specific voltage might be useful for someone else.

Matthias, jnewmark and Passinwind like this.
  9. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    I've been doing some reading about wattage and loudness. In order to get a 10db increase in loudness (twice as loud), you would need ten times the watts. The loudness of a 100W amp compared to the loudness of a 50W amp is barely discernible.

That said, a 10W amp is probably not what we want to gig with. :)

10. BarfanyShart

BarfanyShart

Sep 19, 2019
    DC Metro
    It's always great when a piece of gear can do exactly what you purchased it to do.

Matthias likes this.
  11. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    And probably a six month shipping wait these days..

jnewmark likes this.
  12. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    They called delivery for Monday if I ordered last night, so maybe not. Shipping just seems like a total crapshoot these days though, for sure.

CryingBass likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, for sure. I don't even like to gig with my GK 150MB when drums are involved. But that's not the purpose of this purchase :)

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021 at 2:42 PM
  14. Old Fart

Old Fart

Mar 11, 2011
    Understood. I guess my point is that 10W can deliver. Unless you are playing a soccer stadium. ;)

Matthias likes this.
  15. Staccato

Staccato Low End Advocate Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Alabama
    Interesting practice amp!
    • 10 Watt Power Amp
    • 8" Warwick Custom Speaker
    • 3 Way EQ w/ Controls for Bass, Midrange and Treble

16. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Still waiting for an item that I bought online two weeks ago. FedEx has told me three different times that it was " on the truck for delivery ."

17. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    I noticed when reading articles on Warwick combos that they perform to their power ratings at less distortion than many other amps. This allows for more volume knob travel before things get ugly.

Matthias likes this.
  18. CryingBass

CryingBass Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Like my Italian buddies used to say “stuff falls off trucks all the time!” These days you are lucky if they get it ON the truck!

Sorry for the derail op. Nice snag.

Matthias likes this.
  19. Prana Ferox

Prana Ferox

Dec 4, 2015
    NoVA
    That rule assumes you're using the same cab and same (sensitivity) driver so for combos it's not too useful. Also 10dB is a lot, generally '3db -> double the wattage' is a more useful rule. Still, yes, you're not getting too loud with 10w through an 8" driver with any bass extension.

Volume knob travel is all about gain structure, it's real easy to make an amp that goes all the way up clean by just reducing the gain, which has pros and cons. Combo distortion can come from the amp or the cab part of the combo, I'd be curious how they're evaluating the combo 'performing to its power rating.'

Considering how many cheap watts you can get from a chip amp these days I wonder if 10w rating is just for market segment differentiation or if it's to protect the driver at the low end.

20. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Apr 9, 2009
    True but the ears tell the story so clearly not just a GAIN structure thing else the amp would seem quiet when dimed. Maybe it's this.

DYNAMIC DISTORTION LIMITER
    Distortion occurs when an amplifier works beyond its range, when the power supply cannot supply the power any more to take the amp higher. A common method to control distortion in amps is to use a limiter, a device that stops the signal going beyond a specific level. Audio limiters work by setting a threshold signal level where the circuit kicks in and keeps signal levels within the capabilities of the power supply. This method is not very precise and often causes audible effects such as pumping and thumps. We designed a circuit that instead reads the distortion level in the power amp and starts limiting as soon as the amp shows even miniscule amounts of distortion. This means our amps always stay within 0.3% distortion (THD) when most amps are rated at between 5-10% distortion (that means that to get your 20 Watts out of a 20 Watt amp you will get it audibly distorted and if you want a clean signal the power will be a lot less).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Oct 17, 2021