1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NAD: Traynor SB112

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DinoRock, Dec 3, 2016.

Tags:
  1. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Thanks to you folks on TB: I was looking for a small amp to sit in my family room behind an end table next to my side of the couch. Recommendations that I considered were Traynor SB110/112 and PJB Double Fours. There were some other standard recommendations but many didn't fit my approximately 1' × 1' requirement or a tone that I liked. Anyway, just took delivery of the Traynor SB112. Details to follow.

Doesn't exist without pics, so:
    20161203_123552.

Top view: 20161203_123614.

40-year older sibling for kicks: 20161202_100927.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
  2. This one is at the top of my shopping list (and my list for Santa, whichever comes first...). Will look forward to your full review and assessment.

3. callmejs

callmejs Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Subscribed...

4. That's a nice little amp.
    I've the SB115, but I like the size of the SB112 better. I find the SB115 just large enough to be somewhat cumbersome at local jams and open mics.
    Trade ya!

DinoRock likes this.
  5. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Home after a very long day. This amp has a very full sound, which is impressive for a rig so small and light. I'm already convinced that this was a better choice (for me) than the sb110 based on the full sound that I am able to get out of her.

The only drawback that I have seen so far is that the knobs have play in them when trying to dial in a tone. This has been noted by others and I was hoping that was either an anomaly or had been fixed. Not so, but given my situation of using it for practice, if you will, the knows won't bother me at all.

So far, just a 30 minute play and only with a passive Fender Jazz into the passive input. The 4-band EQ is pretty responsive. The the amp sounds great with the tweeter on. I turned the tweeter off briefly and liked the tone more with it on, so just re-enabled it. For me, the layout of all knows on top and the small footprint are great.

More tomorrow if there is interest.

(I have not played with the "Low Expander" yet.)

Al Kraft, callmejs and quickfix like this.
  6. The low expander is merely a mid scoop of sorts. I use it for a full, velvety tone.

DinoRock likes this.
  7. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Thanks for the tip! Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

8. callmejs

callmejs Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2009
    Montreal
    Interest there is!

9. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    Congrats on the new amp! Love the vintage Bass Mate by the way, as a Traynor Bass Mate was my first bass amp when I started out as a beginner punk kid way back when.

DinoRock likes this.
  10. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    Like the Tweeter Off/On switch !

11. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    ShoMeMusic.com; Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Darkglass, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Quilter, Blackstar, Cort, Traynor, and other
    Congrats on the new Traynor SB112 combo! Nice pic under the tree.

DinoRock likes this.
  12. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    A fantastic choice!
    Traynor gear is just incredible.

DinoRock likes this.