NAD! Yamaha J-160S Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Treebeard, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bear Light Symphony, TimepeaceNC Band
    20180218_191255.jpg 14541.jpeg Found this old 610 cabinet on craigslist today and went after it. I have the matching head, but I've only found cabinets with 15" cones. It turns out the seller (also a semi-pro musician) lives 4 minutes from me - a rarity for rural Wake County, NC. He claims it was sold to him by a man who used it touring with Ray Charles for a time haha maybe.
    Stuffing it in the old XJ, I was surprised - cab weighs <60lbs. Took it home and fired it up with the trusty Hartke 3500. Sounds great. Sorry I couldn't get a pic with the matching head! - It's out of town at a practice space.
    P.S. WTH is up with that impedence #?

deathness and brianmharrison like this.
  2. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Bump! Still trying to find out if anyone has owned one of these!

3. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Im guessing it’s either six 32 ohm speakers in parallel or six 8 ohm speakers wired in three series sets paralleled together.

deathness and Treebeard like this.
  4. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Thanks a bunch for the info. I've just never seen anything like that on any cab.

5. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    Yeah, I think most 6x10 cabs use either 24 ohm or 6 ohm proprietary speakers so the cab is a typical 4 ohm load. A 5.3 ohm load is safe to use with any solid state amp rated for a 4 ohm load and I believe can be hooked into the 8 ohm output tap of a tube amp (tube amps are the opposite of SS amps I’ve read; you can run a lower impedance mismatch than the tap is rated for but not higher).

Treebeard likes this.
  6. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Really? The Peavey classic tube amp I have on the way to me says 16 ohm min, 8 min, and 4 min. The 8 ohm min would be the proper jack for this cab?

7. voided3

voided3

Nov 11, 2008
    To the best of my knowledge, yes. From what I’ve read here regarding using an 8 ohm load with an SVT (which only has 4 or 2 ohm outputs), a lower load mismatch is better than a higher load mismatch. That’s why an 8 ohm load isn’t recommended for the SVT.

Treebeard likes this.
  8. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    If that's a 6x10 that weighs 60 pounds and is only rated at 180w, I would be VERY gentle with it if you want to keep it original.

Anyway, it also doesn't look like it's really sized right for a 6x10. I wouldn't necessarily trust just the model number. Although the wattage being divisible by 6 is encouraging. But that also means you're working with 30w drivers, likely stamped frame (rather than heavier duty cast frame) based on the weight.

Your best bet is to use it with a 30-100w tube amp, preferably with an HPF in front, set to 60-80Hz or so.

agedhorse likes this.
  9. Treebeard

Treebeard

Jun 5, 2016
    Cary, NC
    Thanks man! It's more like upper 70's now I think about it, but it's plywood. I just bought a Peavey Classic 120 tube here on TB and am very excited. What's the purpose of the hpf with regards to protecting the cab?

10. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Cool cab! Yeah an hpf isn't designed specifically to protect speakers, but it can help. It simply rolls of any frequencies under the dialed in frequency. So it prevents your speakers from trying to produce frequencies they were never designed to produce.

It essentially "tightens up" your bass sound, but it has been adopted (much the same way a compressor has) as a speaker protector because it is a side effect of what it does.

Treebeard likes this.
  11. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Think of the cabinet as a 4 ohm cabinet.

The drivers were similar to their guitar speaker models, but were also rated conservatively. By today's standards, I would suggest that they are a good match for an amp of ~200-250 watts RMS.

Treebeard likes this.
  12. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    The hpf protects the speakers by rolling off frequencies below what they were really designed to handle. I would be surprised if the speakers resonant frequency is much below 60, which means anything below about your A string will be pushing the speakers pretty hard (the excursion will greatly increase below that point). if Agedhorse says theyre rated on the conservative side he's probably right, but I'd still play it safe, certainly in the early stages of getting to know the cab. Definitely don't crank up the lows (or crank any "contour" or "shape" type knobs which are usually a mid scoop which essentially amounts to a bass and treble boost).

The Peavey 120 should be fine with the cab, but that's with keeping the EQ in check and/or using an hpf. Fortunately you have the benefit of surface area, but don't expect it to necessarily keep up with a modern 4x10 in terms of volume and low end.

Treebeard likes this.
  13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021