1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by middy, Sep 26, 2013.

1. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    I've been playing a Markbass CMD 121p for the last 6 months. It's a pretty nice amp... for acoustic and jazz gigs maybe. For a loudish rock band with iffy FOH support in rooms with crap acoustics? Nope. It goes "boink boink" or "mush mush". Even with sansamp, equalizers, compressors, etc. I fought to make that thing work because I love the 30 pound loadout.

I have to say, it works well for a stage monitor if you have a soundman who knows what he's doing and a decent pa and a stage that doesn't suck. Which hardly ever happens for us.

So I gave up.

attachment.

After getting the 810e home and playing with it for a few hours, I'm pretty sure this is the best musical equipment purchase I've ever made.

There's no boomy bass spilling all over from a ported cab. It's just there. Tight, punchy, wonderfully musical and clearly defined. It fills the room without seeming loud or mushy, yet I can hear stuff vibrating all around the house. :cool:

The Ampeg PF500 is exactly the sound I wanted (well, not quite, but the SVT is next year :ninja:). The built in compressor is nice. With this head and cab, I plug straight in and the tone I've been chasing for years is right there!

It sounds great with my guitars and my Jet City JCA20H too! (The Jet City only handles 8 ohms so I just plug into the top 4x10... I love you Ampeg!)

It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up.

I can't wait for rehearsal! :bassist:

Attached Files:

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Nice score! Killer rig. And the PF500 will make a great backup when you finally get the tube SVT. I still have a couple small rigs for the times where I can't use the big guns, but there's just nothing like having an 810e, even at the piddly volumes I usually play at.

3. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Ampeg with a P bass.

A classic combination!

Congrats!

4. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Just noticed the cat photobombed me.

I was playing and the cat and the rabbit both came to check it out. Animals love bass!

5. SactoBass

SactoBass A retired civil engineer who likes all-tube amps! Supporting Member

"Look at the bones!!!"

6. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Thanks Jimmy. Everything you've written on this forum about these things is true!

Thanks SactoBass. Run away!!!

7. Isn't the PF500 500 watts at 4 ohms? You should be good to plug into the single 810 input.

8. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    dukeisdog, I was referring to my JCA20H tube head. It's a little 20 watt thing for guitar.

9. I haven't read the manual, but you should be fine to run a 4 ohm load with your PF500. I've actually never heard of a bass head that couldn't do 4 ohms.

10. middy

middy

Mar 14, 2007
    Texas
    Wow. I better edit my original post. I was totally unclear.

11. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Really nice setup middy!

12. Whoops, I should have read the whole thread :D

13. georgiagoodie

georgiagoodie It's all fun&games 'til the winged monkeys show up Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2008
    Atlanta, GA
    The only thing that sounds better than an 810 is (2) 810s.

groovaholic likes this.
  14. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I ran that rig briefly. It was LOUD! :D

15. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    There's a reason those things are still standard issue after all these years.