1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NAD!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flon_klar, Dec 20, 2017.

Tags:
  1. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    A822D854-2FF0-4183-9487-3A4B2A2B0AA1. As I’ve mentioned before, I have been a die-hard and committed Ampeg user for decades. Since I first found it, I have been in love with that growly, beefy tone. But the SVT-4Pro that I’ve been with for over 10 years (and was well used even then) won’t live forever, so I decided I should have a backup rig, just in case. I believe I have found a suitable (and importantly, less cost-prohibitive) substitute.

I present my new backup amp- the SansAmp GED-2112 preamp and Crest Pro-Lite 2.0 power amp, both installed in my new DIY 12-space rack case. I tried it out last week with the band, who love my Ampeg sound, and they were overwhelmingly impressed with the capability of the 2112 to produce the requisite growl and punch, with the transparent force of 2000 watts of Crest amp behind it. Rehearsal tonight- I will be installing the rest of the rig in the rack and beginning the process of dialing-in. I’m excited, and I just wanted to share.

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Nice! Are you using the deep output, the drive output, or both? I RTFM'd the GED, but found the descriptions a bit... non-descriptive to me. Read some of the thread in effects section, but that's a long thread to sort through! Let us know how it goes!

3. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Oh yeah, definitely using both channels of the pre. The drive section is amazing (in moderation) and has a great range- from a slightly serrated edge to full-blown mega-fuzz. The deep section is a lot more subtle, but I absolutely think it’s necessary to support the distortion. One of my all-time favorite bass sounds is Geddy at the beginning of Cygnus X1, and this preamp easily achieves it.

4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    So you use each output to it's own channel on the power amp, kind of like biamping?

5. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Exactly.

6. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Dang yer fast. Did you have a response ready for my question and just clicked submit? :D

Thats kind of what I gathered. I biamp. Not afraid. Soooooo much of TB poo poos the very idea of biamp at the very mention of it. Very cool. Makes me want one more! :D

I was thinking a crown DSP, the smallest, to use as a sub amp for a small PA, then it could biamp with the dsp as a backup for my current setup... More options...

7. flon_klar

flon_klar

Feb 25, 2006
    Salt Lake City
    Lol. I think I just happened to look at the forum just after your last response.

Hell, I’ve been bi-amping since the mid-80s, when I had a Peavey 115 combo amp with a Peavey 210 on top. That capability is one of the things that most attracted me to the 2112 in the first place.