Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nady wireless for cheap

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass18, Apr 17, 2002.

1. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    A salesmen at a local music shop offered me his nady VHF wireless system for AUS$100. He told me that because of HDTV I will get a couple of years out of it. I'm interested in wireless and prepared to spend this amount on this system as long as its of decent quality. I know it wont be great, but i'll be upgrading later down the track so I will just be using this to tide me over until then. Should I make the purchase?

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well I haven't played through one, but the guitarist for my band bought one for his dad for Christmas. It works pretty good, good response. I would say its a good deal..

3. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    I went through a couple of different wireless units trying to find a good one for a 5 string bass (some units can't handle the low B). You definitely want to go with UHF instead of VHF. I'm not sure how much AUS $100 is compared to US $, but I know that a nady VHF wireless over here is around $125. I'm now using a shure UT14 that I bought used for $200. They sell for around $360 new, but I have no complaints yet. You get what you pay for.

4. mpapi,

How does your shure handle low B?

I played my RB5 through a Guitarist model Shure and it cut off the bottom something awful.

5. mpapi

mpapi

Sep 9, 2001
    Hamilton, NJ
    It seems to handle it fine. The specs say it handles down to 20 hz. I've even tuned down to low A and it worked fine. I can notice a very slight level change across the board when using it instead of a cord, but a little EQ fixed that.

6. Bass18

Bass18 Guest

Jul 21, 2001
    Australia
    well i'm going to go and check it out soon, and then make my decision. Are the only problems with VHF units is interference problems? Or do they have disadvantages in terms of handling low frequencies compared to UHF? Well, as long as it sounds alright it should be fine...

7. malibu

malibu Guest

Dec 26, 2001
    for what its worth . . .
    a Shure catalog I have shows the exact same frequency response curves for some T series (VHF) and UT series (UHF) wireless microphones -- the guitar body pack transmitters are supposed to be similar with the same receiver.
    and some of the VHF wireless started to drop off at 120 Hz down to -11dB at 30 Hz vs. the similar UHF model dropping off at 180 Hz with -15dB at 50 Hz