Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nady XA-900

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BlacksHole, Jun 23, 2002.

1. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I just got a new Musician's Friend catalog and in it, it list a Nadt XA-900 power amp at 900 watts bridged mono (4 ohms) for $199.99. This sounds like it's too good of a price to be true which usually means avoiidance is a good idea. Does anyone know anything about Nady power amps? What else should I look for in the specs, if I find them?

2. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    OK, I found the specs:
    Input: 1.15V (+3.4dBU)
    Input Impedence: 10K
    frequency: 25-25k
    voltage gain: 32dB
    distortion < 0.03%
    S/N: 100dB
    Weight: 35 lbs.

From this I gather that most preamps could power this, but the pedal style preamps may not be sufficient. The amp is heavy for a 2 space unit and the other specs don't mean much to me. Also, isn't there something called a slew rate?

Any general comments on these specs? This is still a really low cost power amp and I'm sure it's not up to a QSC level, but I also have to question whether I need to step all the way up to QSC.

3. hello????

any wise old (old is optional) tber's around to answer a poor we' lad?

4. blindman

blindman

Aug 14, 2002
    Stow,Oh.
    I guess one of the drawbacks would be that the only outputs are binding posts. Wouldn't 1/4" be more reliable?

5. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    I would buy it and if it sucked return it. I believe you have a few days and if you don't like it you get to return it right?

6. Bob Popham

Bob Popham

Jul 20, 2005
    Just bought 2 xa-900 just to test. Slew rate 38V/ms, 204/ch @8 Ohms @ 120V line AC. Blew one out to test short circuit duration which was 16 Minutes one channel shorted at full power (just before clipping into 8 Ohms.) The amp has a very warm sound because negitive feedback is low at about 21db. The output devices are the same as Crown, QSC, Yorkville, etc.. and are easy to get but expensive. THD measures at less than .01 and TIM is very low, can't measure. Damping however is only about 150. We are going to buy 8 more and use them in a rack system for top end. I will let you know how they stack up.

7. Bob Popham

Bob Popham

Jul 20, 2005
    Forgot to mention. The xa-900 only has 4 outputs per channel that adds up to 50 amps. This translates to I Would Not Use This Amp At 2 Ohms per channel or 4 Ohms bridged. There needs to be at least 60 amps of outputs to handle a 2 ohm load plus a 50% safty margine. The amp is fine at 4 ohms per channel and 8 ohms bridged.