Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nahas cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brian Willis, Mar 14, 2003.

1. Does anyone here have any experience with the Joey Nahas cabs? I played through one at Atomic and it seemed to have a much bigger, cleaner sound than my eden 410. Any comments?

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Check with Brad Johnson. I think that he owns one or two. ;)

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I was gonna suggest Brad too!

I saw a few Nahas cabs at Atomic. The glitter vibe is... unusual. :) Not that that really matters (said the guy with the bright red tolex cab). I'll check 'em out next time I visit Atomic, if they're still around.

4. what is a Nahas cab? I'd love to see a website, if there is one.

5. DaveDeMarco

DaveDeMarco

Apr 25, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I was there yesterday (where I bought my Aggie GS 112) and there were several Nahas cabs in various configurations.

I met Joey a year or so ago when he was running sound at a gig I was playing and he was telling me about his cabs. Had I more time, I would have played through a couple. If anyone gets a chance to, I'd like to hear a review.

6. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    Where is Atomic? Is that the only place that carries these cabs?

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    Atomic is a big, all used store in college park, MD. Its an awesome store.

8. Rickenbackerman

Rickenbackerman

Apr 17, 2001
    Laurel MD
    Yes, yes it is. A few weeks ago they had a full Acoustic 360 rig for $450. I wish I coulda snagged it.

9. mslatter

mslatter

Apr 8, 2003
    I just met the guy briefly this week while at Atomic. He said he doesn't like 10's and uses 12's instead. That might explain the fuller/richer sound. From what I listened to, they were very nice sounding cabs, and looked built to last.

10. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Here's a thread about my current rig: Nahas/BE to Nahas/Nahas

I stopped by Atomic today. They have two 2-12's, a 15/10, an 18/2-10 and a 4-12. Good time to stop by.

His cabinets do have a fuller sound than most cabs, without crossing the line into muddy. Very articulate. These are full range cabs that are very efficient. Today we had the usual bass meeting(;)) and got to hear the Nahas cabs with my Brubaker K5B fretless 5 and a white Spalted Maple 5 Kevin gave me to show around, an R bass 5 (very nice) and an Ambush 5, also very nice. The sound really jumps out of this gear. We played mainly through an Eden WT-800 and with the volume on about 3 it was very loud.

Great stuff IMO and Joey's a great guy to know.

11. lsimy

lsimy Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2003
    Virginia, USA
    Yeah I too can account for Nahas. I'm an ex-sound guy and bass player and still have the pro audio bug. I met Joe one afternoon at Atomic and found him to be very nice, knowledgeable and had an interesting vibe on bass cabs. We must have talked about drivers for an hour.

I did not get to try the bohemoth 18+210 cab but a 2x10 of his was there. I think one of the keys to Nahas design is the brute rigidity of his cabinets. They are so solid that there is very little efficiency lost due to sound absorbtion by the cabinet itself. Just lift one and you will understand.

I contacted Nahas about a website but have heard nothing from him. He needs to get the word out and I would love to help him. If anyone speaks to him soon, tell him to contact Vinnie about getting him online !!!!!!

Nahas is going to go places once more people catch on.
    -Vinnie

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I was talking to one of the owners of Atomic Music earlier this week. He said he loves having the Nahas cabs in store for a reason I hadn't even thought of. Of all the bass cabs they've had through the store (the only thing I haven't seen has been Accugroove) the Nahas cabs are the only ones that people have been unable to blow up.

I thought that was pretty cool.

BTW that 18/2-10 cab has four speakons so the 2-10 is completely split from the 18. The 2-10 section of that cabs sounds great... patch in the 18 in a full range configuration and it's one of the two most monstrous single cabs I've ever played.

The other is his 1600w 4-12 with horn. That thing is nuts.

13. stefandisgust

stefandisgust

May 28, 2006
    Boston, Massachusetts
    Spector Basses-New Artist
    Just today I placed the red Nahas 1X18/2X10 on hold and will be picking it up tomo. It did have a sketchy speaker. One of the 10's, but for the price I got it for..I'm MORE than happy to replace it. It sounds GREAT!

14. Rosebud

Rosebud

Jan 3, 2007
    congrats, played through a similar Nahas cab, sounded great!

15. pbass2go

pbass2go

Dec 19, 2004
    Apple Valley, MN
    Joey is a great guy.
    He used to run sound for a band I was in.

Always wanted to get one of his cabinets... built like tanks and sounded great.

16. Popps

Popps

Nov 26, 2009
    The Lowend has had a couple of these, a 1x12" and a 1x15", for awhile.

17. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Those were a departure from what he was building at the time, per the customer's request. Both cabs were bigger than the versions of each that I own... a change that I thought was very unneccesary.

Joey no longer builds and the cabs I have still sound great when compared to the current popular cabs.

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    That is still one of the most amazing single cabs I've heard live. Be careful.