naive newbie's setup.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by philipc, May 2, 2005.

1. wowee, first post.

my question to anyone who would be good and kind enough to answer it is what would be a wise investment as a first purchase for bass effects? ive been playing for about 15 months.

the sound im interested in experimenting with is something around my bloody valentine. that thick soundscapey noise but concentrating on the bass frequencies. i want to be able to set out the bass on its own as a basis to layer melodies from piano and/or percussion instruments on top of to achieve a post rocky sigur ros, explosions in the sky-esque sound.

im guessing i want a compressor to boost the sustain. in the recording ive done ive played a lot with off setting tracks with a slight delay so from what the great wikipedia tells me a chorus or flanger would be good.

ive written a lot and id better stop now but any feedback would be wonderfully gratefully recieved!

2. SubversivePinko

SubversivePinko No use for an ironic title

Feb 19, 2005
    Bellingam, WA
    First off, what kind of budget do you have?

Your two best bets would be a reverb or delay. The Electro-Harmonix Holy Grail 'verb sounds great, and has a modulated reverb setting called "Flerb" that's amazing for atmospheric stuff. They run around $70 used.

There are a few delays that can be had cheaply--I like my Korg 301-DL, which ran around $40 used.
  3. my budget isnt huge but as long as i can start small and collect over time theres not really an upper limit. i guess i want to know what i would be best to start off with and then plus some general info on what i'll be wanting for that sound.
  4. Since you're new and don't really know what you want just yet in terms of effect types (not brands, but actual types of effects) you what to at least decide if you want a chorus, flanger, phaser, delay, overdrive, fuzz, octave, synth, envelope filter, wah, compressor, eq, tremolo, sampler, or ring modulator.

To tell you what you should get first...that all depends on how drastic you want to go. Oddball effects (like envelope followers/filters or ring modulators) are sometimes limited with how much is tasteful in a song...whereas you can have a chorus or overdrive on throughout a whole song or as a basis for your entire sound.

My suggestion is to either go to and listen to all the sound samples they have to hear what effects make what sound...then head over and listen to the samples on and There's probably a lot more out there too.

The other suggestion is to buy a used, cheap-o multi-effect that has decent versions of all the types of effects you can get. Then play the heck out of them to determine what you want. Some people like a 'wooly' fuzz, and some like a 'gritty' distortion, but you need to experiment to determine what you like.
  5. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Best bet would probably be to go to a guitar shop and play through every Stompbox you can to get an idea of what you like and what you think you can use. I find a Chorus to be very useful for adding fullness to your sound (just got my dream chorus paid for) and remember expensive doesn't mean better. My chorus pedal was $30 shipped from a guy in Virginia. Can't complain at all about that!