1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Naked Headstock!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Trayster2, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Last weekend, I bought a Squier VM '77 Jazz Bass that, evidently, the owner before me was embarrassed to own. He or she sanded off the Squier headstock decal. I tried to look for a Squier decal on eBay but had no luck. So I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a replacement decal or some other idea for the headstock.

2. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Inkjet waterslide decals, perhaps? It's what's used for a lot of model kits and custom headstock decals.

I have a refurbished Standard Squier Jazz that I'm going to be modding into something rather different. Aside from a very different electronics configuration, upgraded bridge and some new routing, I'm planning on redoing the headstock in gloss black polyurethane. But rather than denying that it's a Squier, I plan on merging the "Squier" logo with the "Fender Jazz Bass Special" into a "Squier Jazz Bass Special". That's where the waterslide decal will come into play.

I plan on doing some tests on some blank pieces of wood before attacking the actual headstock. That will include sanding smooth, pre-stain treatment, Minwax PolyShades gloss black, decal and then a spray-on gloss clear coat as the final step.

3. Shakin-Slim

Shakin-Slim

Jul 23, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Paint it trippy colours :p

4. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Why not get a custom one made in the same style and font as the Fender logo, but with "Trayster" instead of Fender?

5. Trayster2

Trayster2

Aug 13, 2012
    Palm Coast, FL
    Hmmmm, I really like that idea, thanks! :)

6. Easy to get Fender decals on eBay.

7. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    You got it. Every once in awhile I surprise everybody and come up with a decent idea. ;)

And I'll waive my 10% commission if you post pics after you get it and put it on! :D

8. Osztertag2112

Osztertag2112

Jan 27, 2013
    You should get the kellogs logo on it!