1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Naked Necks" Who sands/scuffs the back of their necks?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WoodyH, Jan 15, 2017.

Tags:
  1. WoodyH

WoodyH

Mar 1, 2014
    IMG_0372.JPG IMG_0375.JPG IMG_0371.JPG IMG_0369.JPG I will sand the clear off of my bass necks that are unpainted. It makes the necks, at least to me, super fast... as in little friction. Do you do this? *Obviously I wouldn't do this to rare and/or classic basses that could result in diminishing their value*

Steve88, comatosedragon and exidor like this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I don't go naked, but if there's a sticky glossy finish, I'm a firm believer in the Scotchbrite Method. :thumbsup: Just enough to "un-sticky" it.

39-Bassist, Fletz, joeypee and 11 others like this.
  3. Yes and no. I have more Fender necks that are sanded or scuffed, but some I leave as is. Like you said some are painted some are too nice and new. By that I mean valuable so I won't devalue them. I do prefer the feel of a scuffed or sanded neck as well as some satin finishes and oiled finishes. I also have a couple of newer necks I've aquired, a couple of Fender replacement necks for 2 builds I'm doing and I will definitely sand them. I find I have less fear of sanding money away on Fender necks because you can always do a refin if you want fairly cheaply. Of course I wouldn't do that to a vintage neck.

WoodyH likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Exactly...still looks good, too.
    18nbs9.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    joeypee and WoodyH like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    scuff the gloss down a little, maybe, but not down to the bare wood. You need some protection. I have both gloss and satin necks, and can play fine on both.

JRA and WoodyH like this.
  6. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

i have one neck that is pretty "naked" --- i went through a period of shaping it and just used oil as the finish. i don't play it enough to have gunked it up much, if that's what you're concerned about. but i'm in the camp/group: it's not what it looks like, it's what it plays like.

disclosure: i have no 'investment' basses to abuse. and, i'm also old enough not to care too much about the way things look = better to feel good than to look good! :)

7. Although I do like the matte finish on some necks, I do not actively seek them out, nor would I ever sand the neck, as I've never had an issue with the so-called sticky gloss finished necks.

8. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    I'm stripping a Godin Shifter neck back down to bare maple, and will periodically treat it with boiled linseed oil.

WoodyH and blindrabbit like this.
  9. dxb

dxb

Dec 25, 2016
    My Affinity and one of my G&L's both have unfinished maple necks. I like the smooth satiny feel better than a poly finish- at least when I first start playing- but once my hands get sweaty they don't slide very easily. I also worry that all the moisture soaking into the wood might eventually ruin it. Does anyone know if that's likely to happen?

10. jaybones

jaybones Banned

Mar 4, 2015
    Kelleys Island, Ohio
    none
    ^^^This^^^

11. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I'm quite a sweaty chap. After a while my hand will stick to the back of the neck.
    Correct fretting hand technique would no doubt solve this problem, but even the pad of my thumb sweats so much I still find it sticks to the neck.
    I take very fine grade sandpaper up the back of the neck 4 or 5 five times, can't really see any marks, polish with Fast-Fret once a week and my fretting hand can glide easily up and down the neck.
    Wish I had done this to the Rickenbacker I had 20+ years ago.

dxb likes this.
  12. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Fender lightly sands the crown, and a bit just below the crown of the neck on the USA Geddy Lee Jazz. A nice feel on it, and it's very smooth.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    WoodyH and Spidey2112 like this.
  13. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    I hit mine with some fine sandpaper to give it that satin feel. Just really helps when my hands start to sweat.

WoodyH likes this.
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I like to sand my necks with a very fine 1000 grit sandpaper. But I don't go down to the wood.

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  15. Always.

In the past, I have sanded the gloss urethane off many a bass (mostly fenders). The only bass I regret doing this to was a '91 Peavey Dyna-Bass, neck through, painted neck. I hated the gloss, so I sanded it off.
    I have no regrets having done this to any other basses. Anymore, I simply try to purchase exotic wood necks (woods not requiring a finish). I love the feel of a satin or raw neck.

WoodyH and BasementWarrior like this.
  16. LT131

LT131

Jan 25, 2015
    Deep South
    It will not. There are plenty of old basses that have played for years with the finish worn off.

dxb likes this.
  17. skygzr

skygzr

Feb 23, 2015
    Southeast US
    Take a nice maple neck, sand it down to 1200 grit till it's like glass, then rub in a little Tung oil. Mmmmmm.

WoodyH, JPaulGeddy and Mediocrity Man like this.
  18. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    1200 grit

19. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    Scotchbrite and/or steel wool ... powdery satin ...

used Scotchbrite pads to keep cue sticks slippery also ... !!

WoodyH likes this.
  20. I am another who uses fine sandpaper to take off the gloss.

My wedding ring scratches the poopie out of necks too.