Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Naked Stingray5 pictures?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FalsehoodBass, Jun 5, 2002.

1. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Does anybody have a picture of a stingray 5 without a pickguard? I'm wondering what the control cavity looks like. I would rather not do it to my bass, because i'd need to remove the strings, the pickguard, and all the pots in order to get that thing off.

I'm trying to make the SR5 look more like the SR4, and i want to know if there is enough wood under there for my ideas to actually work ... Here's my idea so far...

yes, too much time on my hands i know.
    [​IMG]

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    also, any suggestions about what to do with those 2 unused screw holes would be helpful. The bass is stained transparent blue, so covering them could be difficult.

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a Stingray 5 and I took the pickgaurde off the controll cavity is covered with a clear pickgaurde shaped like that of the Stingray 4 and to me it looks classy

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I have a custom Stingray 5 from '99 that was made for an Ernie Ball employee without a pickguard. I'll post a pic later.

5. put 2 smooth, shiny screws in them ofcourse.. makes the bass look a little more rough :)

6. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    screws with the same color as the bass... or go for the "industrial bass" look as said above

7. Strangelove

Strangelove

Oct 29, 2001
    Illinois
    Dave, I just downloaded the Mp3 in your sig. That is really really really cool.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    i wouldn't worry about the 2 screws.. not a big deal

and Dave I like your playing on that MP3 also. very good stuff man :)

9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    hey thanks... pardon the poor quality and constant fretbuzz

i have to record something new though

10. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey dave, that clip sounds awesome, i wish i could chord like that.... the little wooten-ish run was tasty too...

but i digress... thanks for the idea on the screws... i'll try to find some that will be flush so that i don't snag anything... does anybody have a picture of the body cavity yet?

Thanks Again
    Brian.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    As promised, this one is a '99, custom-made for an Ernie Ball employee. Great bird's eye maple neck, too.

[​IMG]

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    That thing is goregeous. I can just feel the GAS setting in. :) :p

13. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    anybody else? no pics of pickguardless stingrays?

Thank you very much boogie, that helps a lot in knowing where the routing is, but i'm still wondering what's in that cavity. I need to know if i can have a switchplate for the pickup selector and an aluminum plate for the knobs, or if it has to be 1 piece of metal.

Thanks for looking
    Brian.

14. narud

narud Supporting Member

Mar 15, 2001
    santa maria,california
    youre going to need 1 piece. its one big route under there. its not like a 4 string with an added route for the switch like in your design.

15. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    hey narud, thanks for the info.

16. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Sorry to be a spoilsport, but if that's a custom model, there's no guarantee that that's what a stock model looks like underneath the pickguard.

Just a thought.

Nice bass, though.