Name brand Flatwounds

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by craigc, Oct 9, 2011.

1. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    I am looking to put flatwounds on my new G & L JB. Is Daddario and Ken Smith strings considered to be one of the top of the line strings. That seems to be the favorites in my local music stores.

2. I use and like De.. Chromes ..

3. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Chromes on all my basses. Best string I have ever used, for my taste.

4. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Ken Smith "Slick Rounds" are not exactly "Flatwounds" They are round wounds that have been machined flat. They have characteristics of Flatwounds but nothing like "Chromes" or other "flatwounds"

Other strings like Slick Rounds (Half Rounds) are GHS Brite Flats, D'Addario Half-Rounds, and LaBella Quarter Rounds

Don't get me wrong... Half Rounds are great strings... But they are not "Flatwounds"

5. f.c.geil

f.c.geil

May 12, 2011
    LaBella Deep Talkin' are outstanding flats, IMHO, YMMV, etc.

6. I tried d'addario chromes as my first set of flats, and though I liked the tone for the most part, the G string had a bit of a metallic twang that I didn't like. I also wasn't a huge fan because of how stiff they were. I decided to try out a set of GHS precision flats and right away had a better tone, feel, and tension in my opinion. I have no ambition to try other flats.

Different people like different things. What do you like in regards to tension?

7. 5StringFool

5StringFool

Jun 10, 2011
    Greenup, KY
    Likewise.

8. I second the LaBella Deep Talkin' flats... best from the few that i've tried...

9. bbarthol2003

bbarthol2003 Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Georgia, 31419
    TI Flats. They're low tension and sound great.

10. craigc

craigc

Sep 27, 2004
    Someone mentioned the half rounds. Do these strings have that slick feel and mellow tone? I am new and just don't like the feel of the round steel.

Thank you guys for the information, helps out a lot.

11. joesgarage

joesgarage

Sep 8, 2011
    Illinois
    I too am a fan of the TI flats, but I think GHS precision flats are great as well

12. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Chromes and SIT Power Flats

13. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I'm also a fan - they're what I use.

I have also used GHS, Rotosound and Chrome flats - I can't say that I find big differences between them, but my taste runs to the Labellas.

14. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    round nickel is mellower than steel

i had pyramid nickel rounds for a year and they had a nice mellow roundwound tone

also pyramid golf flats are awesome

i also have to basses with chromes - one with a new(ish) set, and one with a year old set... big difference, they age nicely!

i guess no matter which string, i tend to like it after a year :p

15. Musicphan

Musicphan

Oct 11, 2008
    +1 ... have tried Chromes / RotoSound 77 / Sadowsky / and I like the TI the best

16. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Half-Rounds have the flexibility of Round Wounds but the mellowed out tone of flats but a little brighter.

If you don't like the feel of round wounds there are some other options as well besides flat.

There are Pressure Wound strings which have the outer windings pressed into an oval shape before being wound around the string. These have a smoother feel than regular rounds. They have a lot of the tonal characteristics of Rounds without the added noises from round wounds. Smoother Feel, Smoother Tone. Very punchy strings, without the round wound brightness.

17. JB36

JB36

Apr 22, 2010
    Albany, NY
    I have a G&L JB with Sadowsky Flats and they play and sound awesome. Tension wise they're right the middle between the looser TIs and some other stiffer flats which is perfect for me. Lots of good tones on G&L with these flats.

18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    23 ft below sea level
    I've tried many brands and types of strings. The d'Addario Chromes are the absolute winner for me. They really give me wings.

19. pablo64

pablo64

Oct 6, 2010
    I played the Rotosound black ribbon wound flats for a year, then switched to Sadowsky and loved the feel and sound of them. I have medium guage on my fretless and lighter guage on my fretted. Both sound and feel great, and I like the price.

20. gary m

gary m

Jan 17, 2011
    Mid -Atlantic
    Carvin sells GHS Precision Flats in bulk at a deep discount. Check their website.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021