1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name change = bad idea?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by venturabass, Mar 4, 2010.

1. My band has been going for about a year and a half now, and we've had a name for about a year. We've played some small gigs, not too many but a decent amount. However, our band has wanted to change our name pretty much since the first gig. People who come to our shows say stuff like: "You guys are good, but your name is just aweful", etc. We have a big gig coming up, and we know we have to change our name before then. But my question is, should we change our name? We hate it but it is somewhat unique and a lot of people know us by it. :confused:

2. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Change it.

3. Step

Step

Feb 20, 2008
    Maastricht
    what's the name

AND

change it if people tell you to

4. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    Until you've got that first CD out you can call yourselves anything-just make sure you are replacing it with something better than what you have.

5. Okay as long as you haven't been hitting large venues name changes to owners means different band in my experience. And you may start from scratch again trying to kick down the doors with lower end of the pay scale. Lastly since you are good and you name is awful people are remembering you so it may no be a bad thing in the long run to keep the name
    I know people in this band coheed and cambria not a great name but, most people know who they are heck, before that they were named Shabütie???? Claudio writes comic books but he isn't good with names lol just kidding guys you rock! by the way Travis I would have kept Toxic Parents that was a killer name RTS

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My friends band just changed their name. Mainly because there is already a band called Messenger and they have CDs released and whatnot... they've been playing under that name since last summer. What did they change their name to? Rose of Four. I think the new name sucks ass. I suggested they go with The Messengers as to not entirely throw off their previous identity. Anything but Rose of Four.

7. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Since you're still not quite widely known, now is the time to change the name--especially since audience members have been saying the current name blows. This upcoming "big gig" is a perfect opportunity to establish yourselves with a new cooler name.

8. maybe build a name change contest element into the big gig.....

9. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

change it... start with available URLs take your time and do it right

10. pbass-pbass

pbass-pbass

Nov 19, 2009
    It took my band six months to settle on a name. We had written an entire set and the only thing that held us back was deciding on a name.
    We're glad we waited. Our final idea was the best of all of the other ideas we had.

I like Mr Campbell's idea.

11. john_g

john_g Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    Change the name asap. I was stuck in a good band with an awful name years ago and there is nothing worse than working your tail off, knowing you sound good, then cringing when you have to tell people the name of your band.

Funny, kinda related story:

Some guy came on here looking for new names for his band and saw a list of absurd names I jokingly spewed out in a thread a couple of years ago and picked one of them! I dont remember exactly what he picked but I was just joking around. So with that in mind, my suggestion for your new band name:

Spanky McButtnuggets and the flesh balloons

12. Yerf Dog

Yerf Dog

Jun 29, 2009
    Carol Stream, IL
    "Closed for Remodeling"

13. Goatee220

Goatee220 Bassist/Photographer/Goalie Gold Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2009
    Spring City, PA
    I'm the same exact situation right now - good band, bad name. I can't believe what a pain it is to get 5 people to all agree on a name.

14. Thanks for the suggestions.

We've been undecided about what to do, but we've been trying to think of a good name, although without much success. It's hard enough to come up with a good name, much less to then get five people to agree on it.

15. MNAirHead

Ventura..
    We went through this with low pressure for about 10 weeks.. just everytime we'd get together we'd throw out more.. circulate lists..

I was the toughest to convince as I didn't want any bands to have the same name and wanted the web url to be straight forward.

Most bands have "funkychicken_the-Band" etc as a name vs "FunkyChicken.com"

It is golden when you go into book and your web address is a primary URL>

Tim

16. MNAirHead

How did we do it..

Went for weeks ciruclating names..

WE got very close.. had a general theme we'd go with.

Late night I went onto the Internic website to see what names had reservations.. the minute I found one that wasn't taken on Facebook, Myspace or as a URL.. I immediately sent in MY $50 to reserve the name.

I then had the logo done.. set up an initial Myspace.. pointed the URL there.

THEN

Went to the band.. intorduced the name .. web address and logo.

They all thought it was their idea... since the hard work was done they accepted and moved forward...

17. Warfender

Warfender

Oct 25, 2009
    We just did this. It isn't that big of a deal especially if you have good contact with your clients. We just tell them we changed our name and to advertise us under the new name with a formally known as "@#$%$%^%$". After several gigs you can drop the formally known as bit. Leave your old myspace or site and direct to the new site and explain the name change.

18. Jehos

Jehos Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    DFW, TX
    Just went through this with my band. We were called Trio Loco, which was really bad since we're a 4-piece doing 80's to current rock covers. Everybody thought we were a Tejano 3-piece.

We couldn't figure out how to pick a name since everybody had different ideas. What we did was everybody made a list of 5 names they liked. We put all 20 names into an e-mail, and everybody got to veto two names, no questions asked. If you don't like it, it's off the list. That got us down to 12 names, so we did the veto thing again with another 2 names. That brought the list down to 4.

We sat down before a gig with the final list of 4 and talked through them, making a case for why each name was good or bad. At the end of that talk, which only took about 20 minutes, we had picked one.

Now we're called Rule 17. It's not a great name, but we're a local cover band. We don't need a great name, just a serviceable one.

19. MNAirHead

Rule 17... I kind of like it.

Totally stupid question...
    When www.Rule17.com is still available why didn't someone put down $15 to nab it?

======

Rule 17..
    THis reminds me of living in the frat.. We had house rules on the wall.

A new cute girl would show up.. we'd ask "Have you complied with Rule 17?" I won't go into the Rule 17 deals.. but it was a amazing how many would ask follow questions.

Tim

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    So, what was Rule 17?

All ladies to enter the premises must remove of all underclothing?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020