Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name dropping thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Jun 6, 2003.

1. After the immense success (73 posts and counting) of my "I met Bruce Lindfield" thread, I decided to start a name dropping thread.

I'll start. Here are my favourite droppable names in no particular order, other than the first two:

<ol>
    <li>Top of the list comes Steve Cropper, whom I met a couple of years ago during the Blues Brothers Turkey tour. A friend of mine was opening for him on the tour. Steve said, "Hi, Andy". I said, "Hi, Steve", and shook his hand. I still get a warm, tingly feeling when I think of it. A thirty year ambition fulfilled.

<li>In the late 70s, Lemmy accidently hit me with a pool cue at the Music Machine in Camden Town, London. As far as I recall, he said, "Sorry, man".

<li>I once (again late 70s) ran sound for Mickey Jones, formerly of Man (a group few have heard of) at the Half Moon pub, Herne Hill, London.

<li>I was in a band with the younger brother of Alan Jones, then Tom Jones bass player but to go onto play with the Shadows. He had a beyootiful P bass.

<li>I jammed with Andy Newman, the founder of Thunderclap Newman, famous for 'Something in the air' in the late 60s.

<li>I used to sit behind Tim Devlin at school, the Tory MP who went into the record books for being the first MP to be shown picking his nose after the televising of parliament began. I don't think he did anything else.

<li>That'll do. I am beginning to scrape the barrel.

</ol>

2. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    My mum's partner knows many music people's (such as brian molko, the lucky bint) because they worked in the industry for many years.
    And i've met many bands from standing around waiting for hours in the cold.

But my favourite name dropping tale right now is that i'm friends with the teenage son of the conservative environment minister. Who's a very camp gay stoner. (the son, not the MP)

3. CDuff

CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Europe
    Eh, let's see here..

My mother kinda knew Phil Lynott.

My brother's girlfriend is the sister of JJ72's drummer.

I once met Packie Bonner (Irish goalkeeper) who was my absolute HERO at the time.

My guitarist is seeing the daughter of the Irish football manager.

That's about it.

4. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Used to go to the Solid Rock Cafe in Glasgow on a Sunday night. We'd see Billy Rankin play - he played guitar for Nazareth at the time (think he still does).

He was quite a cool guy - very down to earth, if you got in early and he'd set up, you could have a quick blether with him over a pint!

I need to get out more!

5. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Now which one are you talking about here, Brian Molko, the MP, or the son? :D j/k

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Um, let's see, My older sister played a young Maya Angelou in the movie "Now I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings". I talk on the phone from time to time with WilDog (Ozo), sometimes he'll leave loud and weird messages on my cell, Jon Maron (Groove Collective & Me'Shell), India.Arie, & Dwayne Moore (Floetry). I share emails Freddy Thompsom (UK bass monster) every once in a while. My cousin is Gary "US" Bonds (R&B Legend). I've done drugs and gotten drunk with Jamiroquai, Keith Sweat, Larry Blackmon (Cameo), Zakk Wylde, Andre Rison, Deion Sanders, 2 Live Crew, NWA, Ice T, and Eldrin Bell (former police chief), but not all at once. I was held by, and threw up on MLK, Jr. I was a baby and burped without a receiving blanket. Jammed with Bill Dickens. Well, he jammed, I drooled. I've played behind Stevie Wonder. He sat in on one song with my R&B band at the MLK Birthday celebration. We did a version of "That Girl". To be honest with you, the list is long and lengthy! I'd be here all day. Besides, you should see the stuff that I CAN'T talk about!

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Really? Cool, what kind?

8. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    the son :p

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
  10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Geez, Woodchuck, these are big names! Wow.

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Woodchuck
    ...I've done drugs and gotten drunk with Jamiroquai...

Sorry, you're not gonna get away with *that* one without an explanation, boyo...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was after the Atlanta gig on the Sychronized Tour. We all went to this club called the Ying Yang and proceeded to get lit! Derrick (drums) is a VERY scary looking fellow when he gets drunk! I've got some pix of Simon, D Zire, Toby, my friend Tasha, and I at the height of our drunkeness! There may have been weed involved. Man, those guys can SMOKE! BTW, Tasha is a registered member here, she may chime in on this tale.

12. Nothing like a good name dropping session.

I got all you folks beat. Ron Wood said I made the best egg mayonaise sandwich he ever had (he use to be a regular at this club in Dublin I used to work in). Did a whole bunch of recreational drugs with Shane McGowan at the same club. Good times, I tells ya, good times.:rolleyes:

13. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Wow! What are the guys like?

...and dare I ask what drugs you did? :D

EDIT: Ahh, weed...

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Lessee...

I work for Beaver Felton (Superchops4Bass) and Dave LaRue (who I also studied with).

Tito Puente Jr (the son of Tito Puente) - I was his road bassist for about 2 years.

Ricky Showalter from Liquid Soul stops in at work occassionally - really cool guy.

Liberty DeVito used to stop in and see my band play at a local club, another nice guy.

Benny Reitveld & Dennis Chambers, met them backstage at a Santana show in Orlando. Dennis actually came up to my wife and I and said hello, asked her why she was wearing a cast on her foot. Spent a good 5 minutes chatting with us, exceptionally nice guy, and frightening drummer.

Mike Tobias stops by the shop once or twice a year, he's originally from Orlando and comes down to visit family. He's too cool for words.

Roy Vogt (bassist for Engelbert Humperdink, no joke! :D) comes by anytime he's in FL, frightening player and genuinely wonderful guy. He also is Prime Mover's teacher (once she gets off her butt and starts taking lessons again!).

Finally:CABO! ;)

15. The guitar player I do some recording with is close friends with Les Paul. He's an incredibly nice guy and, as you can imagine, a fountain of information. It was pretty intimidating to play stuff we had recorded for him, not just from a musical standpoint, but because if it wasn't for him we wouldn't have been able to make the recording in the first place!

16. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Ahh, Billy Joel's drummer. Cool.

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    UNDERSTATEMENT!

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    My friend, who's an LP worshipper met him in NYC. He told him that he has about 5 LP's, and Les Paul responded with, "What the hell for?!" He said that it was the best night of his life. They had a long conversation afterwards.

19. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    I know Johnny Turnbull from The Blockheads (Ian Dury and ...).
    Consequently I've met Norman Watt-Roy,Chaz et al..

Lee Kramer is a good mate of mine, he used to be married to Olivia Newton John and was her producer/manager in the 70's/80's.

20. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Man, you guys have met some big names.

I can't really claim to have met any. I know people who have worked with, or know, very famous people - but I've never really met any myself.

I got signatures from Herbie Hancock, and Wayne Shorter (on Thrust, and Heavy Weather, respectively) - after shows. They're big names, but I can't really claim to have *met* them, it's not like I really spoke to them, other than "can you sign this"... :D