name dropping.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    without dropping the names.

i've had a couple of experiences i've wanted to post about without dropping any names, and i decided to start doing so - without dropping them.

before i played music my brother got into a band. i went to one of their rehearsals and felt there was magic in the room. i loved the whole thing and started tinkering with their guitars when they eventually moved practices to my house. this band was my inspiration and what got me into the whole playing thing.

2 of the 4 guys in that room went on to become REALLY successful musicians playing in 2 of the BIGGEST R&R bands of the 80s. one as bass player the other as a lead singer. neither's success had anything to do with that original band - both took entierely different paths.

both these guys shared one thing in common, aside from their incredible talent. they're both 2 of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet. they smile all the time, never seem to have a problem with anything, are ultra respectful, always make you feel like you're the most important person in the room (even if there's twenty people they're doing that with) easy to be around, and would bend over backwards to help anyone if they could.

what's my point? not sure. maybe that being a truly nice person goes a really long way in this world? plus i saw the bass player perform and hung with him last nite and i'm still kind of high from it. all my life i've wanted to play really big stages (and have but without the really big crowds) and it inspires me bigtime to see someone who i feel really deserves that, to be doing it. this guy has always been a real inspiration and still is.

ps. i consider these guys really successful not for the fact of the bands that they're playing with, but more-so because of the fact that they are doing what they love, are earning more than enough money doing it, and are really happy with their jobs and families.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That is cool. Maybe it is their nice personalities that helps them meet people just like them. Nice people do nice things for each other, and maybe one of those nice things was gettin thema record deal or something?
  3. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    This week I called a very well known bassist for a very well known band and studio bassist for hire. It was in reference to a email I got from a fellow tber. He is going to see his group in concert and asked me if I could arrange a meeting between the two. In the middle of writing him back I decided to call this well known bassist and was supprised that he was home! I had not talked to him in a year! We spoke for awhile and he brought me up to speed on what he was doing and had no time to do (he is really busy). I told him a fellow forum mate wanted to meet him and was a huge fan of him and the group, he told me there would be no problem that he would be glad to meet with one of his fans. Now I might say here this bassist is one of the most humble people I have met in the bussiness and I hope my fellow tber meets this brother and get a chance to sit down with him.
  4. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Thank you Joe. I needed that post.

I've always believed in Karma, and truley try to treat people the way I would like to be treated. However, I have a new job and the boss and I clash on this point. She does business in a "treat em like garbage" manner and is trying to get me to do the same. She believes that nice guys come last and get walked all over.

I guess I'll just have to put it on at work, and be ultra careful that I don't become like that all the time.
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    This is as much of the reason Nathan East is my favorite bassist as his playing is.
  6. ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    I have to agree with everything said here. I had a chance to meet my "hero" bass player a few years ago. Not only did he take the time to make me feel as if i was the only person in the room at the time but he even took a few minutes to show me some stuff. He even made a comment to a reporter that he "would be with him in a second" then turned back to me and said "i can talk to them anytime, i may not have a chance to ever speak to you again". If it was ever possible, at that moment he went even higher in my book. Truly an awesome experience.
  7. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    Josh omg, you just reminded me of the time I was at work in a parking garage next to the Dakota were John Lennon was killed. This was about 1981 and I was eating lunch in the office when my #1 Idol walked in the door. Now all the other attendents were older than me so did not really know who he was. I looked at him and he looked at me. This went on for a couple of seconds going back and forth until he said "ok ok" and walked over and shook my hand. I told him I was his #1 fan. We spoke til his car came up then he said goodbye. Another time I was at work talking to my girlfriend on the phone when he drove in. I gave him a shoutout and my girl asked "who are you talking to" when I told her she did'nt believe me. He walks over to me to say hello and asked if everything was ok. She asked again "who is that" I said his name and He told me give him the phone. He spoke to her for at least ten minutes. He gives me back the phone and she is dumbfounded at what just happenned. True story. Well this fellow today is Probably responsible for alot of baby's and I wish him a speedy recovery with him in my prayers daily.
  8. my experience, in business and on the rock scene thing, has been that the prickies make it and the nice guys finish last.

perhaps an overgeneralization, but i've known 3 bands that've made it and i've found most of their members [excepting the drummer, of course :)] to be sorely lacking in personal and people skills. i've also worked for people who were very well-regarded [revered] in their field, and they were arrogant, callous meanies. my own belief is that people who act like that have no real sense of self deep-down.

of course, i think it's important to be kind to all sentient creatures, and i aspire to do that, but most of the people i know who rose to the top [or at least to the occassion] didn't get there by being nice.

i had a brief chance to meet chris cornell of audioslave, and he wasn't the least bit accomodating. not mean, just not nice or gracious at all. i understand he's quite the introvert.

it didn't bother me, really, coz i had nothing special to say. and really, all i wanted to do was check out his bad ass self. cripes! he is most definitely the hottest dude in rock 'n roll today.

gush, gush-
  9. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

An old Motor City act is back on the road, (with a TB'er on bass?) the guitarist and drummer used to rehearse at a band house my bandmates and I rented in Ann Arbor. They were always quite nice, and helped us drink beer and told us lots of "tales from the road".

My friend was leaving to see them perform at Pine Knob in Clarkston MI a week or so ago. He paid about $40.00 a ticket.

I told him as he left for the show, "You're paying big bucks to see these guys play and I used to kick those guys out of my house so I could get some sleep!"
  10. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    :bassist: :) :) :) :bassist:
  11. I met a pretty famous bassist after his show at the Montreal Jazz fest... nicest guy ever! He let me play his 65 Jazz bass and took pics with all of us, told jokes, signed autographs... It's 2 years in a row that I watch this guy play, but the first year I was too shy to go up to him... Can't wait till next year!