Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name game.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wxp4759cb, Nov 25, 2001.

1. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Here are the names of the heads on the BAM, I can't figure out what all the real conterparts are.Help me fill in my list.
    Peavey Max = Duh.

B-Man=Fender BassMan?

Fliptop=?

TVS=SVT?

360=Ampeg 360

Red=?

West Coast=SWR?

Freddie K=Hartke?

How do you think my guesses are?

2. beachgeddy

beachgeddy

Jul 11, 2001
    Muskegon, MI
    360 probly Acoustic 360

Red probly SWR super redhead 210 combo

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Fliptop would be the Ampeg B-15

That's it.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Brad Johnson and Beachgeddy gave you the ones that were missing or wrong. But I'm not 100% sure of the last one.

Freddie K=Hartke? I can't think of anything alse. Maybe it's a model of a GK 400RB with Hartke aluminum drivers, as used to be very popular?

6. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    My guess is that Freddie K is G-K.

You know, Freddie Krueger, Gallien-Krueger ....

7. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    They refer to a metal cone 410 speaker cab with no tweeter. Sounds like a Hartke XL. The amp may be GK.

8. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Hmm, if I had to guess I would say that Red would be SWR, for the Redhead, and West Coast would be Mesa Boogie. At least on a guitar amp modeler I saw, West Coast was MB. But those are just guesses.

9. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    couldnt a fliptop be an Ampeg Portaflex amp? Or is that just the same thing as the B-15? Ugh. My knowledge of vintage bass amps extends only to the SVT :D

10. sorry for interupting, but what are you guys talking about? I'm completely lost.

11. embellisher

WAVYGRAVY0

We are talking about the amp modeling on the Peavey BAM210 combo.

12. thanks embelisher! I think I get it now!

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The B-15 was a Portaflex

14. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Wow, this got alot of replies! Thanks!
    I think your guesses were on the money. Who ever said Acoustic 360 I'm sure is right, I just remembered there was an amp made by a company whose name started with A called 360. I think you guys are right about the red Head combo, and there'd be no point in modeling swr twice so maybe the west coast is mesa boogie.
    Here are the speakers that go with each amp if it helps.

Bam =2x10
    B-Man =2x12
    Fliptop =1x15 I'm sure you guys are right about being a B-15 though.
    TVS=8x10
    360=1x18
    Red =2x10
    West coast =4x10
    Freddie K= alloy 4x10
    (The alloy part is what made me think hartke, but Gallen Kruger makes alot of sense too.)

Thanks alot everyone, I really appreciate it. :D

15. embellisher

If the Freddie K says alloy 4x10, it's a given that the cab is a Hartke. but I still think the head is a GK 400RB(or some kind of GK).

For about 5 or 6 years, it seemed like 75% of the bassists you saw on TV, read about in a magazine or saw live used the 400RB and the Hartke 410XL. It was THE bass sound for a while.

16. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Yup, on the Bass POD "California" is Mesa-Boogie. Which I had to figure out by process of elimination, having no previous correlation between the two (I guess they're made there?) :)

17. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think you are right embellisher. At first I just assumed that since the head was defualt paired with the alloy 4x10, that they were BOTH Hartke. I played with the setting a bit, and didn't relally think it sounded like a hartke. Now that I think about it though it does sound alot like GK, so I am pretty sure that must be what it is. The head has that kinda contoured sound that gks have so I am pretty sure thats what it is. I am definetly sure the 4x10 is hartke it sounds like a hartke, and it says alloy. I bet your theory about the GK Hartke combination is correct.
    Thanks for the help.