Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name my knob!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bushfire, Oct 29, 2005.

1. On my mysterious samick p-copy I have three unlabelled knobs. After an entire year of owning the thing, I just now realised that it doesn't have a volume control, but two of the knobs control the volume coming out of the pick ups they are closest to.

However, the third knob remains an enigma to me, or at least it's puzzling me a little bit; when I turn it right up static comes out of the amp when my hands are not on the strings, and the tone becomes 'clanky' somewhat, emphasising slides (and poor fingering!:spit:) When down, the tone is 'muffled'.

So my first question is, what is this knob? my assumption is that it's a tone knob.

My second question is, what are some good bridge configurations for different tones? I've found that the bridge pick-up soloed gives a punchy tone, whilst the middle(?) split jazz (I think, or is single the P?) soloed gives a 'rounder, fatter' tone.

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    Blend I bet. Is it a P/J? If so, then the noise is from the single coil (J) pickup. The other one (P), however murky, hum cancels. That's my guess, anyway, without seeing or hearing it.

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tone, most definitely

4. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Name my knob indeed. You can imagine what I thought when I read that caption.

P.S. I call mine big Jim (and the twins, 'natch)

5. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    Surely there is a joke that can be made about your post and your user name that won't get me banned... I just can't think of it.

And to actually try and be helpful it does sound like a classic volume volume tone setup, the knobs that is.

6. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    deff tone.

and god, it's so hard to hold back on this one.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    That would be a tone knob. A lot of basses have them.

8. ....it would be a tone knob then. The reason you can hear the "static" noise more when it's turned up is because the high frequency is present when the tone is up fully because none of your bass's high frequencies are bled off to ground, but cut when the tone is rolled off.

And the other two would be volume - one for each pickup.

;)