Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name some good 5 String basses under 1000

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by FiveStringsNme, May 18, 2003.

1. What are some good fivers under 1000....I've been wondering what's decent or waht to check out considering I want a backup bass

2. CHECK OUT THE CARVIN LB75 (MY FIRST BASS) I HAVE PURCHASED 2 HIGH END BASSES($3000.00+) AND THE CARVIN DEFINATELY HOLD ITS OWN.....FOR THE MONEY YOU CANT BEAT IT.....

3. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

Yea, like this one :D
    [​IMG]

Ken Smith BSRB is a great bass for under a grand as well. :D
    [​IMG]

Theres a number of great used basses you can find under $1000.

4. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    If you are looking into getting a 5 string for under a grand. I would take the advice of someone up above who said a Stingray 5 (Used) or you should also look at a Peavey Cirrus 5 (Used). I believe that both give you excellent value and playability. The sound quality is unique respectively, however, I don't think you could go wrong with either one. I'd rather get a quality used instrument any day to a crappy new bass. my 2 cents.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    A lot of great basses on the used mkt under $1000. I agree with the others, unless you find an exceptional deal on a Sadowsky, the Cirrus is a great one. I picked one up for $750 shipped to my door. Great bass for a great price.

6. mjw

mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    I completely agree. I've got a Carvin LB75PF, and can't say enough good things about it. And you certainly can't beat the price, warranty or service.

7. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Maybe some higher end Ibanez BTB's (BTB1005E, BTB5C) You could probably get a used BTB1005E for under 1000 if you like wider string spacing (19mm I believe) and the BTB5C is considered to be very good, but isn't sold used too often...

A used Cirrus is also a good suggestion, IMO.

8. A USA made Hamer Cruise 5 is an excellent bass and you can get 'em around 6 bills plus or minus.A real steal. The one I have utilizes the 2tek bridge (very cool) and I never fail to get comments on my tone. It's a j bass set up with active pickups. It's a heavy bass but it reflects in the tone. I never much paid attention to Hamer but the cruise bass sold me!
    I'm a rock/pop top 40 player and it covers all the bases (no pun intended).

Of course Hamer won't resale as quick as a Fender or Musicman but certainly quicker than say a Carvin.

Peace