Name some good slap funk artist and their songs

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by mad_world, Nov 13, 2002.

1. mad_world

Nov 3, 2002
    The thread sez it all. Basically name any good fast funk slap artist. The only one i really know of is alain caron. I don't think flea really is that funky and its way to easy.
  2. victor wooten
    marcus miller
    bootsy collins
  3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The original slapper - Larry Graham!!! Get a Graham Central Station CD!

brad cook
  4. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

Those are some of my favorite bassists, I'm especially digging Marcus Miller these days...

I don't think that you have to slap to be "funky". I mean yeah, Flea is great, but to me he's at his funkiest on the Blood Sugar Sex Magic cd where he hardly slaps at all....
  5. Larry Graham

Check out some Sly and The Family Stone and some Graham Central Station.

Bootsy Collins
    Check out his work with James Brown and Bootsy's Rubber Band

Check out the Contraversy album.

Just because it's not hard doesn't mean its not funky.
  6. Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Another good funkster is George Porter Jr. (The Meters and many other bands). Very old-school, tasty grooves :cool:
  7. LES CLAYPOOL!!!!!!!!!! (of primus) he's sooo good and has so many awesome techniques. for example, playing with 3 fingers like he does in "the toys go winding down" from frizzle fry, or where he double thumps then double pops on "welcome to this world" from pork soda. if you want to get a really awesome cd,buy sailing the seas of cheese, or any of the other two i named off earlier.
  8. I agree that Claypool has some real funky slap lines, espically on the early Primus stuff. There are some realy great lines that just make you want to jump around. Real boggling bass lines.
  9. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You have to hear Vail Johnson's solo album. He is Kenny G's bassist, and he really rips on his album called 'Vail Johnson - Terminator'.

I have always loved Robert Trujillo's funky stuff on the Infectious Grooves albums. I like it, but you'll have to watch out because there is still alot of Suicidal Tendencies punk on those IG albums.