Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

*Name some low price manufacturers like Brice*

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Cornellius, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Cornellius

Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    Dallas,Texas
    I've heard a lot about these basses, and I've also seen how relatively inexpensive they are. I know there are lots of small companies like Brice, but some, like Raven West Guitars, aren't that well made.

Do you guys know any other brands similar to Brice with similar quality?

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    nothing in the same price range is of the same quality IME.IMO.

3. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    There are several low price point manufacturers that compete with Brice, to include Carlo Robelli, Rogue, Galveston, and for that matter, even SX, the other major brand distributed by Rondo (Rondo is the US distributor for Brice. Brice is Korean made and SX is from China).

For reasons I can't explain :confused: I have become interested in checking all of these low end brands out. I should say that I own a Brice Z6NT, so this may seem fairly biased, but it really isn't .... more just a statement of my own experiences.

The major difference between Brice and the others is the consistency of the basses. Every Brice I have ever seen or tried has the exact same good points and bad points. All of the necks are good, all of the hardware is good, the pups are good, etc. All of the Brice basses have really bad stock strings and terrible tone control pots. But these things are consistent in every one of their basses, so you know well in advance exactly what you're getting. If you try out 10 Brices the only deciding factor as to which one to buy is that intangible feeling you get when you know the bass is the right one for you ... and that happens with all instruments.

The others, to include SX, do not have that level of consistency. On exactly the same models, one SX could have bad frets, one may have a rough neck, another one may have deformity in the body .... you just never know. That holds even more true with the other non-Rondo brands like Rogue and Robelli, etc. They have a bad reputation as a low end POS due to the inconsistencies.

I have read unsubstantiated postings that say all of these basses come from the same factory. 1st, that's not true and 2nd, even if it was, that doesn't mean they come from the same machine line (with the same quality control) as Brice.

Also, be realistic, these are not expensive basses. You can not attempt to compare a Brice 5 or 6 with a Spector, Conklin, Sadowski and others in that higher altitude. IMO, you can compare them to some Fenders, Peavey's (not Cirrus) and other somewhat middle-of-the-road basses (please, no offense implied to any owners of Fenders, Peaveys, etc :) ). It is much harder, again IMO, to try to compare a Rogue, Robelli, Galveston, etc., etc. to anything other than themselves, and that is due to the atrocious quality control issues they have. Can you get a decent Robelli?, Yeah, probably can .... but the odds are greater that you will get a junker.

All manufacturers (not talking about custom luthiers here) could learn a lesson from Brice about quality control. I believe that Brice decided to build a good, basic bass and then cut some very specific corners to get the price low. But, in doing so, they made d*mn sure that each instrument coming out of the factory was going to be the same. If Brice put good strings on the bass, did a proper "pre-set-up" before shipping and improved their pots they would command a much higher price point then they do right now.

Sorry for all this wordiness ..... just kind of leaked out :eek:

4. Cornellius

Cornellius

Jan 5, 2004
    Dallas,Texas
    thanks for the info!

God bless,
    Emsy