1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name that bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steak'n'roll, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Is Riviera the brand?
    60's japanese number.
    Could be a Univox off shoot.

I bought a $100 project bass once...
    It's still in pieces in my garage.
    Wiring is something that will have to be thought out pretty carefully and can be a challenge with that top.

It has all the parts, like the tailpiece and bridge so that's a big plus. It's a cool looking instrument, probably worth $100 if you have the time.

2. It is what the ad says but I can't find anything about that bass...

3. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    It looks like a Teisco FB-2, although one can seldom be sure with '60s and '70s Japanese manufacture. They were marketed under whatever names. I'd say buy it if a violin-style bass is what you want. With a little work that could be sweet. The pots seem to be missing, but some straightforward two-pup wiring would make it a player.

4. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Hofner itself is a knock-off of the Gibson EB-1. For $100 CDN you can't go wrong. Doesn't look like there's much wrong with it except a missing string and a couple pots. Should be a fairly cheap fix.

6. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    Here is a link to a pic of a Teisco violin-shaped guitar that matches the bass you're considering exactly.

7. How'd you do it? You guys are incredible!

Many thanks, I'm trying to get in touch with the seller right now. I might get it this week. If so, I'll let you guys know about the restoration and the sound coming out of the beast!

8. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
  9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, saw that before. I love the looks of it. I like how Bud made gamba corners instead of the violin corners on the Gibson. On an upright I like violin corners, but I like gamba corners on the electric versions.

If the DB side ever saw me talking about gamba and violin corners on electric basses, they'd burn me as a heretic!

10. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

NOT to worry ...

;) ... I won't rat ya out ...