1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name That Bow!

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by mje, Apr 3, 2006.

1. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm trying to figure out the provenance (as it were) of this basically undistinguished and ordinary French bow I have.

Pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The only markings are those under the frog- looks like V I V V.

Any ideas where it came from?

2. Anon2962

Anon2962

Aug 4, 2004
    It doens't look like a high quality bow, so you might have alot of trouble trying to find out who made it. The roman numerals are probably just a serial code.

Then again, I'm no bow expert.:smug:

3. mje

mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    I'm probably going to sell it- cheap- as I don't play French, and essentially I'm just trying to figure out where it was made so I can give a fair description.

4. camCARV03

camCARV03

Apr 23, 2006
    memphis, TN
    well for one, it is definately not a fiberglass bow. But the grip is a little cheap looking..

5. anthem274

anthem274

Jul 19, 2003
    Arlington, TX
    The tip looks to be about the same size as a German bow's tip. That, merely from appearence, is enough to classify it as a low grade bow. No fine maker would ever carve a tip that small.

6. Eric Rene Roy

Eric Rene Roy

Mar 19, 2002
    Mystic, CT
    President: Upton Bass String Instrument Co.
    just looks like a German made factory bow to me. The hatch marks sometimes match up to corresponding ones on the slider, but not always. The setup guy in the factory might not have cared which frog was made for which stick...or the slider may have been replaced.

Also, the screw looks to be either a) pulled out of the button a bit or b) not original to the stick. What I am looking at is the thread not going the full length of the mortise. The screw will run out of thread before the eyelet hits the back edge.