Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name That Brand

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Petary791, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    So my grandma took me to Guitar Center yesterday (I love that lady.) I was checkin out the 6-strings and I saw one with a brand that starts with a B. I'm pretty sure it's Br something, but I can't remember it. I know it's not Brice. Could somebody please help me?

Sorry for such a dumb question, I'm just lookin for online info. If it helps, it had a flame top, black, passive (edited for type-o's) pickups, active preamp, and a thru-neck.

EDIT: IT'S CALLED A BRAWLEY

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  3. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I forgot to mention that it's a brand new brand. It's not on that site, but thanks for the link. :meh:

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, the problem is, What you listed is probably the most generic kind of bass out there. Flame top, active electronics, black? That's like saying the car has four wheels, a windsheild, and a driver; doesn't narrow down anything.

I mean, even a pickguard might help rule a few out, but as is, we've got almost literally nothing to go on. If you "think" it's a B or a Br, that's something, but if it's a new brand (new by who's standards?) the chances aren't good.

You might get lucky, but I'm telling you now, you'll probably get a lot of blank stares.

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Alright sorry guys. :smug: I figured since there's like 10000 members I just MIGHT get an answer! ;)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, wait around, someone might know.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's my new line of Bryan Basses. Send me $500 and I'll ship you out a new one right away...

8. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    How about a price? Body shape? Pickup config?

Only brands beginning with Br I can think of are Brice (Rondo brand) and Brian Moore.

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I think your chances will be better if you asked one the the 15 or so people who work at that GC...

Btw, it's "passive" pickups.

11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    Are you sure it wasn't an Ibanez and the B you saw was the BTB on the headstock?

12. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm absolutely POSITIVE it wasn't an Ibanez.

13. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    That's what I thought, but aren't the BTBs bolt-on?

[​IMG]

This help at all?

14. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Cool Grandma :)

15. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
  16. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    That is not the bass, but they did have that in 5 string.

17. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I figured it out! It's a Brawley. The maker used to work for Fender. It's produced in the Shector factory. It's Basswood body with a maple neck.

How can it be two different kinds of wood if it's a thru-neck?

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The neck goes up through the middle of the body and then the body wings are basswood and are attached to both sides of the neck.

Generally.

19. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Ah ok thanks. My dad thinks it would be a not so good purchase because I don't know much about this brand. This might be true. :meh: But the guy did say (and I know this guy at GC) that Brawley (his last name) used to work for Fender and then he started his own company. It's made in the same factory as Ibanez and Shector. I've heard all sorts of praise over Shector.

So what do you guys think?

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I wouldnt get it. Never heard of the brand, if you like the design, get a real ibanez or schecter.