Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name That Coltrane Album

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by JazZ-A-LoT, Jun 1, 2003.

1. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Does anyone know the name of that really late avan-garde Coltrane album with "Love" in the title but came after "A Love Supreme". Please excuse the vagueness but this is all i remember, really excellent stuff.

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    To my knowledge there is no such thing. Are you sure it had "love" in the title? If so then all I can think of are the live "A Love Supreme" releases.

brad cook

3. You can look here for John Coltrane albums, but there is nothing other than Love Supreme with Love in the title. :confused:

Great sig btw :p

4. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Lolz sorry guys now that I think of it there was no "love" in the title, but I think it was one of his very last albums and it was definently after a love supreme.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Geez...

If you are interested in some 'late' period Coltrane-
    Ascension, 'Trane's answer to Ornette's Free Jazz, is a must!

Meditations...a must.

Interstellar Space, an album of free-form duets with drummer Rashied Ali, is a must.

Transition is also cool...the title track's solo is like Hendrix on the tenor sax.

6. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Instellar space is actualy the one i was thinking of(For some reason I remembered that the title made me think of celery sticks) Thx man.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Could it have been "Live" instead of "Love"? I keep going back to "Live in Seattle"... love that album.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Oops... you found the answer. Still, check out Live in Seattle if you get a chance!

9. JazZ-A-LoT

JazZ-A-LoT

Jan 5, 2003
    Cool I'll check it out

10. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Coltrane did make an album called "John Coltrane Plays for Lovers." I'm certain the style in this album, really smooth and sweet, is not at all what you are after. In fact, I LIKE this album...that fact alone should be a turn off to most fans of Coltrane's more typical work.

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    JO Bop-
    ...nothing's "typical" about Coltrane's work. ;)
    Look at Miles...what would you consider his "typical work"? My point is this: It's difficult, if not impossible, to label certain musicians(like Miles & 'Trane)

True, Coltrane's late period/New Thing stuff was 'out there'; still, the guy's ballad chops were also intact.