1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name that fuzz!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mastodude, Jul 6, 2014.

1. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011

Any ideas what he's using?

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    Last time I saw them (sometime last winter I think) they were both using a boss type multi effects unit and it sounded like the record. He might have been using an old sunn or peavey too which is good for this type of grind.

Mastodude likes this.
  3. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    Huh... Does anyone know of a pedal that can approximate that kind of snarly over the top fuzz?

4. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I think most fuzz can get you there. I wouldn't get anything too bassy though. What gear do you have now?

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Team Awesome Fuzz Machine

blindrabbit likes this.
  6. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    I love the TAFM, but it's not quite as saturated as I'd like for that sort of tone!

FoF, I run an Ibanez ATK300 into an Acoustic B450. Pedals I use are a Boss ODB-3, Devi Ever Hyperion, Joyo Ultimate Drive, Behringer SF-300, and Source Audio Bass OFD. I get most of my gnarly fuzz sounds from the ODB and the Joyo OCD clone stacked, but the ODB can't really do the slightly sputtery sound he's getting in that song.

7. Mosfed

Mosfed

Apr 21, 2013
    Chamonix Mont-Blanc
    Partner - CCP Pedals
    The Darkglass Duality can get there. Great fuzz tone on that track.

8. Mastodude

Mastodude

Feb 6, 2011
    Does anyone know if the Blower Box does anything like this when you drive it with a boosted signal? Or does it compress and get squishy? I might just have to buy one to find out...

9. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I would try the Blower Box for that snarl, but it sounds like there's a slight envelope open/close happening there, too. The Duality is a probably a good suggestion for getting close with a single pedal since it has the filter section.