Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name that Ibanez?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by niftydog, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Can anybody shed some light on what model Ibanez bass this is? And, if anyone has played/owned one I'd love to know how they sounded/played etc. Any and all details appreciated. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

2. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Holy crap.

The award for the frisbee bass, I mean the thinnest goes to...

3. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Isn't that the bass counterpart to the S(aber) guitars and their ultra-thin bodies? I'm not sure what it's called, though.

Search Google for "Ibanez Saber bass", this may very well be the name of the model.

4. bugbass

bugbass

Apr 8, 2004
    Norway
    I think this is a little older Ibanez, can`t remember the name, but these came in the early 90 i believe. It`s not my favourite Ibanez, sounds plastic and like the body, thin

5. As said its an Ibanez Saber bass, late 80's early 90's i think, see them on ebay now and then

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    Mohawk's right, it's a S (abre) series - IIRC the most popular model was the SB-900, mahogany body, maple neck and rosewood fretboard. I remember playing a few in the early 90's and that most of the sound came from the pickups with the body being so thin. Still, it played well, had the typical Ibanez thin neck, and good hardware and pups (EMGs on the higher-end models) - it might be interesting to pick up for someone with back problems.