1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Name That Jazz!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Techmonkey, May 8, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    At the local music shop, they had a jazz bass that looked just like a '62 reissue (red tort pg, chrome pickup & bridge covers, finger pull rest by the G string, black finish) except for the fact that it had 3 of the black plastic knobs instead of concentrics. So my next thought was a 64 NOS :)hyper:) but then they don't do that in black...

Really I'm clueless. The serial number was N9 so I'm guessing that means 1999? That would make sense considering the overall condition of the bass. It said "Corona California" on the neckplate and "American Traditional" on the headstock.

Sorry for the Fender n00b questions!

2. Mustafa

Mustafa

May 4, 2006
    You are correct: N9 is for American Fender built in 1999. They probably added those touches to make it look vintage.

3. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    correct me if I'm wrong, but '62 is the year Fender went to the three knob config. from the concentric knobs. That is why '62s are so costly and sought after. Did Fender make a RI of the '62 in the three knob config. One way to check is to look for the copper grounding strip between the bridge pickup and the bridge. The era correct RIs should have that in place. Also, wouldn't there be string mutes under the bridge cover on a RI. I thought that was a standard feature on basses at that time. Is the body string thru body? '62 RI should be top loaded and not thru body. If it is a MIA '99, it should be thru body stringing. If it is, then all the chrome covers and stuff were added after market to make it look vintage. I hope that is helpful in checking into this particular bass.

4. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    Ok... sorry to bring up an old thread, but things have changed, and I'm considering trading my Warwick for that jazz...

The jazz was top loading... But it had no string mutes, and the knobs looked standard. The pickup covers looked pretty genuine, but I can't say for sure.

the SN definitely checked it out for 1999... :meh: