1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name That Sound

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gottawalk, Mar 27, 2006.

1. I had the crappiest of my best gigs yesterday. I was playing along, all happy with my FNA Jazzman fretless and all of a sudden things went south. The sound went distorted and then quit! Well, I figured my battery went t's-up, so (in the middle of a tune), here I am changing the battery and then everything was fine. (for a while...)

Then the sound went distorted again and kept reducing the volume. I figured that maybe the battery I put in was old and the guitar player gave me one of his new ones. That worked for a little while, and then all hell broke lose.:eek: I got that distortion that you hear like when you've blown a speaker on your stereo! Paper-sounding rattle and then the volume cuts out until you really hit a note and then it pops back with a vengance!

Sorry for the "book", but here's the question;
    Have I got a cone going out on my cab? It's a 4x10 with a horn. Or do I have a problem with my amp, or is it my active electronics in the bass? It's a new Warwick, and haven't had a problem with it, yet, and I swear I've heard the beginnings of this sound, even using my Fender Jazz. I'm just wondering what I should have a tech look at first. I'm leaning toward the speaker cone problem... Thanks for the input!

2. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Narrow it doen by swapping various bits of your system out one at a time and see which one isn't there when the bad sound quits. Bass, preamp/head, each cable, cab, etc.

That's how you troubleshoot.

3. I'll probably try that, but the sound was intermittent in the past, so I can't guarantee that it'll be there each time... That's why I'm looking for some input.

4. I would check your connections first. I've had amps and bad cables give similar sounds, surprisingly down to hitting the note hard enough and the sound coming back it. Not sure why...

5. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    I've had 2 different things cause the symptoms you're talking about - one was a bad solder joint in my amp - the other was an intermitten short on a patchcord in my effects loop...

- georgestrings

6. Thanks, guys. I'm starting a "check" list and will get on it soon. (Got "kid-duty" right now.);)