Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name that tune, 60's brainbender ?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Thor, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I heard a tune on the oldies station over the weekend, and I can't put my finger on the recording or the artist. Surely a late '60's
    vintage.

It had a very funky bass line, a shrill and killer horn section, and the vocal line, which the singer scatted on a bit was like:

" Got to get it on, gotta gettit on, getiton. getiton right now..."

Thought it could have been either Electric Flag
    or BST before David Clayton Thomas.

Any OF's recognize this tune, it's just bending my brain trying to put my finger on it.

???

2. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    The only thing that really comes to mind would be "Get It On" by Chase. Lyrics look close and the horn lines would certainly match. I can't seem to find a recording of it right now to verify.

Maybe this will spark someone else's memory.

3. Thor

That could very well be, need to do some research on that.

If so, that band is worth checking out again, gave me a kind of Al Kooper kind of groove.

There weren't that many pop horn bands around back then, Sly, Chicago, BST, EF and such.

I don't think Roomful of Blues got going till the '70's and Duke Robillard or Ronnie Earl never charted a hit with that band if I recall.

I think you might have nailed it!

Thor

4. You definitely nailed it, ZonPlyr...without a doubt, the song is "Get It On" by Bil Chase (might be two Ls in Bill...); one of the coolest songs of all time in my opinion :) I played a rather wussy instrumental version of it in high school jazz band, and I've always wanted to play the real version in one of my rock bands, but neither has a vocalist or horn section talented enough to handle such a demanding song...same deal with Chicago's "25 or 6 to 4", another of my favorites :(

5. Thor

Dadgammit! You Michigan boys are allright!

Now if they could only win the big games, I could wear my big M hat with pride ...

6. ZonPlyr

ZonPlyr

Apr 29, 2003
    Pasadena, CA
    Well I'm just across the street from Michigan State University as I write this. I'm sure that silentstranger is a fan of "that other" University in the state. But as fellow low-enders I'm sure that we can overcome that sort of rivalry.

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I picked up that Chase cd a couple years back(never had it on LP, though it was always on the list).

What made Chase different than the other horn bands-
    The entire horn section was comprised of trumpets only! FOUR trumpets!
    Here's their line-up...
    Bill Chase-Trumpet
    Ted Piercefield-Trumpet
    Alan Ware-Trumpet
    Jerry Van Blair-Trumpet
    Phil Potter-Keys
    Dennis Johnson-Bass
    Angel South-Guitar
    Jay Burrid-Percussion
    Terry Richards-Vocals

Most of this band persished in a plane crash about the time their 2nd album came out...
    (IIRC)

"Get It Own" has a pretty active bass line.
    ;)

8. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    BS&T pre-Clayton Thomas was 1 album(BS&T's debut w/ Al Kooper).

The Electric Flag's debut album is worth picking up(A Long Time Coming). Miles Davis was even impressed with this record.
    The Flag's debut was at the Monterey Pop Festival...I just picked this DVD set up; the EF are on the "Outtakes" disc. Buddy Miles is rippin'.

Ides Of March was another Pop-Horn band of that era(blantant rip-off of Clayton-Thomas/BS&T).

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Chase was bad ass. Occasionally, you may hear Get It On at sporting events.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    College marching bands(the 'hip' ones) do Chase...

11. Stop it, you're gonna make me cry :bawl: Meh, it's not surprising that USC was hard to beat when it was essentially a home game for them...at least we won the Big Ten.

Of course, it's not like you're from Columbus or something :D In all seriousness, I have a bunch of friends at MSU...they all seem to take the rivalry more seriously than I do ;)

12. Thor

Right on brother!

13. LowBSix

LowBSix Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2008
    818 ~ 805 ~ L.A.
    Endorsing Artist: GHS Strings
    Possibly Marvin Gaye... "Let's Get it On" ????

14. lambro

lambro

Jun 1, 2004
    how did you get so funky king tut?

15. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    funny thing, that band had FOUR trumpeters in it....

Great song:)

Nice quote from In A Gadda Da Vida at the end, too;)

16. ryco

ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Wow. Never heard anything about that! Airplanes and musicians don't seem to be a very good mix. Total bummer.

A lot of my horn playin' stage band buddies were into Chase.
    I thought they were good, but I was such an arrogant little s*** I wouldn't listen to horn rock bands.
    I thought I was a "purest"; rock goes here - jazz goes here. My bad!

Then one day Tower of Power came along and spun my little brain 180º!!

17. jmcgliss

jmcgliss

Apr 30, 2007
    Chicago
    Yup, that was Chase...endless high notes and killer groove. For this latest Easter Sunday our small praise group added 2 trumpets and 2 horns...all talented early teenagers. One of the kids was warming up on a Chase tune and he seemed to dig that one of us oldsters recognize his riffing.