Name that tune! (Of all the tunes you play, which is your favorite at the moment?)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XavierG, Sep 15, 2003.

1. Mine is "Spaces (Revisited)" - Larry Coryell, Richard Bona, Billy Cobham, Bireli Lagrene.

HERE'S a short (30 second) clip.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    "my funny valentine" - chaka kahn (sp?) version
  3. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dear Jill

by Blodwyn Pig.
    Very nice natural slide blues tune.
  4. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    nice avatar!

5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Xavier, I thought about replying "Kiss by Prince." I stopped short, figuring that joke was pretty tired at this point. Then I read your sig...

6. Cissy Strut - The Meters.

Very simple, yet very funky.

Most of our Blues and R&B tunes allow me a fair bit of latitude to improvise while setting the groove, but this one requires timing with the guitarist and synchopation with the drums to be right on.
  7. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    In my prog band an original piece that right now is going under the working title of "Forsaken".. I get to pull out all the stops on this one.. fingerstyle playing, chording, tapping, etc... I use every string on my Conklin 8 during it.

In Lonesome Moe it'd probably be "Green Tinted Sixties Mind" by Mr. Big.. Pretty laid back as far as Sheehan goes, but it's such a fun song to play.
  8. I'm not playing it on bass, but listen to the third song on this CD. (Livewire)

Listen closely to the guitar chords and how they go sharp at the 16 second mark giving the song a nice off-balance kind of feel. That's my idea of rhythm guitar!

This track, "Livewire," was on a smooth Bossa Nova compilation CD I bought. When I went to buy the Sambada CD it was listed under "Acid Jazz." :confused:

It's great. It's sounds like Tower of Power if they had come from Brazil.

Each track may take a little time to load, so please be patient.

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    "She"- Green Day...

yes... yes... i know.... el lamer punko muzak wit ta pixor.
  10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    "Ignition (remix)" by R.Kelly. I have never seen SO MANY girls react in such great way as when we play this song.
  11. grinder

Nov 11, 2002
    New York,U.S.A.
    The Lemon Song by Zeppelin.Interstate Love Song by STP is fun too.
  12. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    At the moment, Peter Gabriel "Don't give up"
    Incubus "Summer Romance (Anti-Gratity Love song)"
  13. Xavier; wow man, that Richard Bona can groove!
    Big O; I'm playing Cissy Strut in my current band. It takes a pretty good drummer to nail that one, and if he does'nt, you're f****d!

My fave; (and it has been for the last 10 years) is "Spain" - Return to Forever. Stanley on upright is a force to be reckoned with.
  14. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I have been working on Sir Duke, and I love it!
  15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I have been enjoying the instrumental version of Eleanor Rigby that my electric jazz band plays. I use my 8 string octave pair fretless, and it gets pretty nuts, but everyone seems to dig it.
  16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Yeah, I dig that one too. Babyface did an excellent job producing that version.
  17. Viktor

Jun 21, 2003
    Dave has gone skiing by TOTO!