Name that wood - picture included

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jerry J, Jan 18, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I'm going to email the builder, to get the details, but probably won't get an answer until next week some time.

What do you think it is?

- Shedua
    - Koa
    - Bubinga
    - Mahogany
    - Walnut

I'm thinking shedua?
  2. odie

odie Supporting Member

Quilt/flamed walnut?

Bubinga because of the pores??

I dont think its Koa.
  3. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's definitely not mahogany. I don't think it's bubinga either. Looks too dark to be koa (although I've seen it that dark but not as commonly). The lines seem a little subtle for walnut.

I think shedua/ovankol is indeed the most likely suspect. I could be wrong.

brad cook
  5. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

is that "fod" as in Fodera??

Jerry! Did you go and score yourself a Fodera at GC??!!

Really though the "fod" is the only reason I guess Fodera. I've never actually seen a Fodera made from such a dark wood and I've also not seen one with the neck pickup right up against the end of the fingerboard like that. So is the "fod" just to throw us off or is that a Fodera?

brad cook
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    My vote is shedua. I've seen pictures of a shedua Hanewinckel that has similar color and graining.
  7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Fodera? Who said Fodera? I didn't say Fodera! In fact I ain't sayin' nothin', yet;)
  8. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I got a good guess at what the rest of the bass is going to look like because the neck pickup is flush with the fingerboard and thats popular on garrison models
  9. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    After looking at the photos on Ken Smith's website I think that Darrin nailed it. I would expect no less from a luthier. But I did read that Shedua and Bubinga are from the same family and it looks like they come from the same place.

Maybe what threw me was that the finish is an oil type and not a lacquer.

I didn't take a picture but the next thing to figure out is what the fretboard is.

I'm pretty darn certain that it's Brazillian rosewood. I'm pretty certain that Brazillian is the only wood that this builder uses in the rosewoods. The wood is very dark brown with with obvious grain.

The builder also uses kingwood but I'm not quite sure what that looks like.
  10. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    awww... come on shows US!
  11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    yep, this is bubinga!

And from the pickups / bridge we can see I'm pretty sure that it's a Fodera :D

Fodera in fact use much of kingwood for they boards because it's a nice substitue for brazilian rosewood...

But from what I can see in the pic, I would say the board is ebony.

Peace, JP
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Judging by the shade, I would say it would be shedua. However, it could be bubinga because shedua and bubinga come from the same family. Bubinga is normally more orange in color though.
  13. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Another vote for Bubinga.
  14. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    definitely bubinga - looks just like my old thumb's body
  15. zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I'd guess that it's Shedua, I've seen quite a few Shedua Wals and the resemblence is striking.
  16. I'd say bubinga.

Mahogany is not that dark.

zombywoof may be right on as I;ve never seen shedua
  17. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Actually it's very close in color to the back wood which I'm real sure is mahogany.

Also, now that I've looked at it, the board does look very much like ebony, JP says.
  18. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    Im going to say shedua. That wood looks exactly like the 8 string Melvyn Hiscock made in Make Your Own Electric Guitar.