1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name the 5 Worst Cars of all Time (in your opinion)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mike_v_s, Oct 12, 2009.

1. I'd like to thank iamlowsound for this bit of OT genius. Please give reasons aside from "that'n sucked" and be mindful of the fact that some people might actually be a fan of the vehicle you're naming.

I don't have my list yet.

Mike

2. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Pinto, Gremlin, De Lorean, VK/VL Commodore and any old Skoda would have to be up the top.

EDIT: So I just edited and accidently went off the page and lost what I typed. Basically, all unsafe, unreliable and the Commodore in particular attracts THE worst drivers I've ever seen.

3. thumpbass1

thumpbass1

Jul 4, 2004
    76 Oldsmobile Starfire, which was basically a Chevy Monza with more chromed vinyl trim crap stuck on it. It basically was the dying Vega platform, gussied up with nifty enough restyling that looked great on paper, but also sadly featured a general build quality that seemed like it was made of paper. The Buick made V-6 that got shoe horned into it, ate head gaskets on a semi regular basis. Add in the unique, and top secret GM technology where rust actually began the second the car came off the assembly line, ( Later stolen by Ford ) let's just say I don't have too many fond memories of that car. As for the 60's era Starfires, those were a whole other cool car. The mid 70's version was not worthy of the name.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Pinto, Aztek, Pacer, Yugo GV, and those old 4 cylinder Camaro's.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Nova

No Va=No Go LOL

6. Pacer, the fish bowl on wheels

7. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    Cadillac Catera with the 8-6-4 engine. There's another Caddy that's up there as well....can't think of the name right now....

8. dodge avenger(new body)
    charger
    magnum
    jeep liberty
    chrysler 300(new body style)

all for the same bloody reason. low visibility from the drivers seat if you happen to be taller than 5ft 4. the braces of the frame block your view to the side window and the front windshield. and a fricken tiny rear windshield to the rear. over all dodge/jeep/chrysler has made some design flops in my opinion. but those were the worst for me.

9. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Hmmmm im saying my five major gripes

Ford Taurus. MAJOR trans. issues for all years and they never corrected it

Eagle Talon TSI/Mitsu Eclipse GSX. Running 12's is only fun if the car runs for more than a week at a time.

FWD Impalas. Seriously GM? Really? Like for real?

The lack of Manual trans options in third gen F bodies (82-92 Camaro/TA/Firebird)

Pontiac thinking that people want loads of plastic trim all over the exterior of their car. Classic example is 01'ish grand am gt

Heres my five overlooked.
    Saab 9-3 Vigen... Wicked Fast Turbo
    Subaru SVX... If only it had a manual 230hp with AWD in 1992 was nice. Great Interior
    Saab 9-2x Aero... Its a Subaru WRX in wagon form. total wolf in sheeps skin.
    Nissan Sentra SE-R 93'... USDM SR20 motor. VERY fast with easy Turbo swap from JDM
    Mercury Grand Marquis 98ish.. Comfy, decently quick, fits an 8x10 in the backseat

10. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    The Chevy Vega
    The AMC Pacer
    The Ford Pinto
    The Chevy Citation
    The Chrysler K-car

Dishonorable Mention: The Dodge St Regis

11. Ford Ranchero. :spit:

12. ByF

ByF

May 19, 2009
    Chevy Vega. Supposedly created because of a bet between two engineers that they could build a car out of nothing but plastic and compressed rust.

My wife had a Vega which she loved dearly, but I hated. A few memorable features of the Vega: it had a two-speed automatic transmission, so the gear you were in was always Too Low or Too High. The catalytic converter was directly under the driver's right foot, and the floor got hot enough to melt the heel of your shoe. If you ever had to work under the hood, for some reason EVERYTHING was on the left side of the engine--both manifolds, the alternator, everything. The right side was like a blank page, but if you needed to fix anything on the left side, you had to take everything off. The exhaust manifold and intake manifold shared a gasket, so you were pretty much guaranteed vacuum leaks. And of course there was the famous iron head and aluminum block--apparently, GM had never heard of differential thermal expansion. Replacement engines with iron sleeves in the cylinders were popular, for a while.

Ed

13. very interesting take. I like it.

Another nice addition. Thanks.

Mike

14. Trabant: Eastern Bloc technology and build quality makes for a deathtrap.

50s-60s Fiat 500: Minimalist junk. FIAT stands for "Fix it again, Tony." (though I'd like to have one just for the hell of it).

VW pickup: A Rabbit sawed in half with a bed welded to the back. Front wheel drive. Great idea for a pickup. :rolleyes:

Reliant Robin: Three wheels? Who thought that was a good idea?

Anything Chrysler from the mid 70s.

15. Thank you ByF for "they could build a car out of nothing but plastic and compressed rust". I spit my drink all over my screen on that one. I had a friend that owned a Vega. It was not the best car I've ever seen.

16. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Let's ask Jeremy Clarkson

17. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Chevy Vega: GM's first serious attempt to compete with hot selling imports, and perhaps the most unreliable car ever built

Pontiac Aztec: The ugliest car in history, a true tribute to design by focus group

Chevy Citation: One of the examples of the great X-body GM cars, most had crushed front ends from brake failure caused rear end collisions.

Lincoln Versailles, Cadillac Cimmeron TIE: Only the big two would consider dressing up the Sunbird and the Granada with a leather interior to compete with BMW and Mercedes.

Ford Maverick Grabber: Another exciting movement was when the big 3 offered various economy cars with "rally wheels, racing stripes, whitewall tires, and hood scopes and the same anemic V4's and crappy suspensions as the base models. 0-60 eventually

Honorable mention:

Renault Alliance: A lot of these sold in the 80's, a lot of these got towed in the 80's

Jaguar 80's XJ6: anytime a premium luxury sedan finishes #2 on Car and Drivers most unreliable owners survey cars right behind the Vega, it deserves a listing, you could tell the owners driveways by the oil stains.

AMC Gremlin, Pacer, and Matador: Three of the butt ugliest cars in history

Chrysler Cordoba: At least it had fine Corinthian leather

VW Diesel Dasher: Don't even bother trying to start it in cold weather, just tow it to the dealer.

18. OK.

The Dodge Caravan. My parents bought into the early minivan hype. They dumped that car 2 weeks before the warranty went out after three transmissions.

The Vega. Never drove one, but never knew anyone who had one that ran.

Ford Aspire. I remember reading that it had the slowest acceleration C&D had ever tested. Something like a 16 second 0-60.

I'll add two more later.

Mike

19. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    1. Chevy Vega
    2. Chevy Vega
    3. Chevy Vega
    4. Chevy Vega
    5. Renault Alliance

20. NJL