Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name the baby...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by misterk73, Jun 12, 2002.

1. Orange Whip

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  2. Fom Toolery

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Terra Firma

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Short Bus

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Scram

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
  6. In Theory

8 vote(s)
    14.8%
  7. Parachute Adams

5 vote(s)
    9.3%
  8. ADHD

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  1. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    What should we name our band? We've been debating this for months and since it's time to start seeking gigs, it's also time to settle on a name. I'm not overjoyed with any of them, but here are some of the band majority favorites. Whaddya think?

BTW, the band is basically a funk/worldbeat drummer, blues/rock bassist, jamband/jazz guitarist, and a female pop singer. Our own stuff is stylistically all over the map -- often within the same song -- and our potential covers range from the James Gang's "Funk 49" to Phish's "2001" to the Headhunters' "Chameleon" to 10,000 Maniacs' "Like the Weather."

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I voted for Short bus off an instinct....

Good luck in the quest for a band name :)

3. Just thought id say that Short Bus is the name of a Filter CD. And i voted for Parachute adams.

4. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I knew Short Bus sounded a little too familiar!

I'm not a big Filter fan, but wasn't "Short Bus" their debut (with "Hey Man, Nice Shot" on it)? Actually, Filter's done some pretty repsectable stuff, now that I'm thinking about it...

5. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    Orange Whip is the name of a Studio in Santa Barbara.... you could record there if you wanted.

6. cone

cone Guest

Oct 13, 2001
    Georgia
    hey, dont use short bus, thats my bands name

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Funk 49 ... nyuk nyuk nyuk.

Name the band "Short Arm."

8. Short Bus is the name of Eric Wilson's, the bassist from Sublime, new band with Trey Pangborn (Falling Idols), Ras-1 (Long Beach Dub Allstras), and Kelly Vargas (LBDAS). They are pretty much the punk portion of the Long Beach Dub Allstars, who are now history. The reggae half of the band is now Dubcat with Marshall Goodman (Sublime, LBDAS), DJ What (World Famous Beat Junkies), Jack Manass (LBDAS, "Rivers of Babylon" on 40 Oz. To Freedom), Tim Wu (LBDAS), Dave Fuentes, and Aaron Owens. Sorry to get soo off topic.

9. I know....

Short and Busted! :D

10. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    We have a pretty big band around here called Short Bus. FYI.

11. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Due to overwhelming usage of the name, I guess Short Bus is down for the count.

Any other opinions/thoughts out there?

Thanks, all, for the feedback so far!

12. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    No worries about going off-topic, man. Thanks for the info -- although I love the old Sublime stuff, I never got into LBDA. I'll be curious to hear what the boys are up to now, though!

13. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    Orange Spiffy!

your band's approach sounds a lot like mine's, actually (although we're probably not quite as experimental as all that). i think blissfully ridiculous names go a long way for bands travelling this vein. we're called "Yeah, Man" for example. makes you just wanna narrow your monobrow, huh? :D

14. I don't like Fom Toolery...I say go with Tom Foolery.
    Another cool name I thought of but probably will never use is "Funky Death Division". Hope you likes.:D

Aaron

15. misterk73

misterk73

Apr 11, 2002
    Flagstaff, AZ
    Thanks for the feedback, everybopdy!

I pretty much guarantee that my singer and guitarist would put the kabosh on Funky Death Division. Thanks anyway!

Anyone else?

16. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Funky Death Division? I like it!!!

Can I use that at some point? :D