1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Name the Three Best Power Amps for Bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassblast, Mar 15, 2008.

1. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    I want to power a 1000 watt cabinet with a SVT III preamp. Whats going to work best.

2. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    People seem to recommend the Crest CA9 or the Crown MA series

3. To add heat to the debate- QSC and their PLX series if you have the money. I have a PLX 1202 going strong since 9 of 2002.

Our church uses this same amp in conjunction with a 1600 watter. That is what sold me on the QSC name. And that little tidbit about being 21 lbs.

I think Crown has one (XTI) that is shorter on depth and is only 17 lbs at I think 1800 watts.

The crown is cheaper. Both have virtually the same specs. My last Crown lasted 15 years. So IMO it comes down to do you want white or do you want black.

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    I personally use a QSC PLX 2402...for size and weight

5. BIGREDSIX

BIGREDSIX Supporting Member

Stewart World 2.1, IMO...

6. stingray56funk

stingray56funk Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2005
    Atlanta
    IMO and from what I've used:

1) Crest CA series. Heavey as hell but will power your deep bass all day long and for years.

2) QSC PLX series. Lightweight and very comparable to the Crest CA series.

3) Stewart World or Peavey DPC 750, 1000, or 1400. I have used the Stewart World 1.2 for PA support and used the Peavey DPC 750 and 1000 for my bass amplification before. I loved the lightweight of the class D amps and they hit sound wise immediately also. I didn't like the Peavey's because the internal fans were so loud so not good for recording.

That is my $.02

7. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    Carvin. Only 10.5 inches deep. Makes for a much easier to deal with amp/head rack. Carvins are trouble free.

8. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO
    Really, I have a hard time hearing any differences in most decent quality power amps.... of course at least no difference without any high pass filters engaged or anything. I think power is power. Unless you get a Dollar General brand that falls apart in a week, you pretty much won't get any happier.

So with that said, you need to figure out which features you want to see in your prospective amp. Do you want a sub-frequency canceller? What about rackspaces and weight? Are speakon cables a necessity or do you want 5 way posts or something? etc...

You know what I mean? I wound up buying a Tapco because it was too cheap to pass on. I won't say I think they are the best, but I'll tell you what I don't like about mine and then the important things I do like.

I don't like the factory fan. It's loud.... sounds like hissing coming from my speakers, but it was the fan.

It's heavy.

That's it for the bad.

Plenty of power, plenty of connectors (speakon, 5 way for the outputs: XLR and 1/4" for inputs), and the sub-sonic filter actually works without making you feel like you are missing something. I use it in smaller spots or where I can't seem to keep the whole room from booming. It really helps with too much boominess.

9. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana

+1

If you have a line on a great used deal, get it. If buying new, shop around. I have a QSC PL1602, and Peavey CS900 and some other brand (STS maybe???). There is no audible difference in the three, except for volume. The QSC does have some d.i.p. switches on the back for filtering, etc., and I like that because of safety. But, there is no difference in sound.

10. +1 My personal favourite is the DCM1000. I also own a DCM150 (my computer sound system),a DCM 1204 (my PA monitor amp) and a DCM1500 (spare). Never had a hassle from any of them.

Paul