Name The Toughest Bolt-on

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tonrutoo, Aug 13, 2004.

1. tonrutoo

Apr 18, 2003
    Hey guys.
    While I'm happy with my Ric,I'm in the process of having a bass built with different character.Consider it a custom"beater".
    This bass will most likely be all maple like my Ric,but it's going to be a bolt-on.I'm investing in fine quality components,but in the end this is going to be a bass for hard use.
    So I've seen the Fender,Lakland,Musicman,and Warwick;name the ones you've seen take a great deal of abuse.
    *To relate,I recently saw gig footage of SRV doing a near"pogo-stick"routine on one of his strats,and it looked like his beloved Number One.
    Thanks for any input.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Musicmen and Spectors can take quite a bit of damage.
  3. Toughest bolt-on? Simple.....P-bass. Its already been tested to go through time and hell.
  4. Scott D

Scott D

Apr 21, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Laklands 5-bolt config is very sturdy.

I don't think you can beat Ritter's bolt-ons...
  5. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Either a Stingray or a P bass.
  6. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Abuse? What are we talking about here, just normal gigging wear and tear, like dropping the case every now and then? Or are we talking abuse like smashing things with your bass, or even smashing your bass with things? I've never actually seen a bass "break" just because it had a bolt-on neck. People drop basses all the time, like for instance they set it against their amp between sets and then it gets kicked over, or the strap breaks and the bass hits the floor, that kind of thing. Never seen a bass break that way though. If you're travelling with it, you'll probably want to keep it in a nice hard shell case, maybe even a padded one. Who knows what the Samsonite gorillas at the airport might do to it. And the same would be true for shipping, definitely use a hard case or tons of bubble wrap.
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Jaco's J-Bass, which went through the most i've ever heard of, and still worked. He throws that thing in the air, carried it around with no case, and probably dropped it alot too.
  8. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    My stingray is the most indestructable thing on the face of the earth. It's been run over by a truck (not my fault), used a a self defence weapon down an alleyway(well what else was I supposed to use?), and, in a gig bag, saved the skin on my back when coming off a motorbike(completely my fault). In all of the above incidents it hasn't gone out of tune. I'm pretty sure it's made from Kryprtonite.
  9. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

didn't stop any bullets? :scowl: :oops:

try using it as a surfboard. :bassist:
  10. slugworth

slugworth Banned

Jun 12, 2003
    So. Calif.
    The Stingray could be a formidable murder weapon and woudn't even get a scuff...

11. I'd have to say...P bass or Stingray. Or another Rick if you could find one for cheaper.
  12. mjw

Jun 12, 2001
    Spring, TX USA
    MTD! :)
  13. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I bet that you could hit baseballs with a Fender and still play a gig that night.
  14. quallabone

Aug 2, 2003
    A friends fury got run over by a truck. It killed all of the controls and broke a tuning head. The neck was completely fine and straight.
  15. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Spectors are definetly built to last, that's all I can say..
  16. You got that right! And Ill pick Music Man as a close runner up!
  17. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Yea, 9 or 12 bolts at the neck joint can make for a very durable neck joint, but do Ritters really belong in the "custom beater" category???? :D :D
  18. F Bass! Ash body, maple neck bolt on!

But don't abuse this bass, this is a real piece of art!

19. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    Toughest bolton? I'd vote for Michael, but I don't think he's that tough.
  20. the guy from Office Space?
    he punched the **** out of that photocopier :p

P bass- Sid Vicious and JJ Burnel hit people with theirs :meh: :eyebrow:

also there's a minimum of electronics in it to get damaged.