Name this Acoustic amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Subculture13, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I don't have a picture to go off of, I am strictly going by memory here, hopefully someone out there knows what this rig was....

When I was younger and just starting out a friend had an old Acoustic amp and 2 cabinets. If I am not mistaken the top cab was a 2x15 side by side configuration and the bottom was a bandpass type box, I could only guess it was a single 18" inside as it was not visible, with one long vent along the bottom for the sound to come out and it was on casters. The sound (especially with the vented box subwoofer below it) was absolutely amazing. One of the best bass tones I have ever heard. The head that sat on it I always assumed to be the "right" one for it as it had rubber feet that fit into pockets on the top cab, and that also had feet to fit the bottom cab. It all went together nicely. He bought it from a used store as a whole stack. It was almost as tall as me too, quite a large rig (especially for a 15 year old to be lugging around)
    In hindsight I think the head may not have been the intended head for it as it's features are far more guitar oriented than bass, but who knows, this was the 70's afterall. All I really remember about the head that differentiated it from a 360 or something was that it had 2 large flip switches, one for Fuzz, the other for Tremolo (again, unusal for bass). The fuzz tone was out of this world I have never been able to recapture it since, I never really used the tremolo that much though. I always remember that amp, and now, 15 years later I find myself wondering what the hell that thing was so I can try and track one down. I am mostly interested in the head itself, what the model might be, but any info on the whole rig would be great. Is there a resource somewhere I can check into vintage Acoustic equipment. I apologize upfront if this has been covered in the past, but I am after specific info so I didn't want to wade through the archives for that. Thanks in advance.

2. Acoustic 361? Did the cabs have a built in power amp?

nice site with info and pics.

3. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    I'll check out the site thanx, starting with the 361. The cabs were stand alone, 1/4" inputs, no power. It all came from the head.
  4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The head sounds like a 270...the guitar version of the 370.

The cabinets...I'm not sure. Were the cabs about twice as wide as the head? Maybe it was a 406 (2x15 slot type port between the speakers)on top of a 301 (1x18 folded horn).

The whole rig would have been about 4-1/2 feet high and 4 ft wide.
  5. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the old acoustic bass rig, you can't kill it.

2x15 - that might have been the 106 cab just laid
    on the side.

The 140 head I have fits onto the head with indents and rubber legs.

It still is awesome, after 28 years.

Absolutely indestructible.

I used to feedback it a lot ...

What did you say ...?