name this bass (Bosco Mann of the Dap-Kings)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tightbidness, Jan 4, 2006.

1. I'm trying to identify Bosco "Bass" Mann's bass. Framus maybe?

There are more pictures in the Gallery section of the Dap-Kings Website. No close-ups of the headstock that I can find.

The Dap-Kings are an old school funk/soul outfit and backing band for singer Sharon Jones. Bosco Mann is the group leader. Definitely worth a look and listen.
  2. muapa

Sep 8, 2006
    It's a 1972 Carvin SB60... and it's all mine!

3. tbrannon

Jun 11, 2006
    Well there you go....straight from the source.

Very cool retro looking bass- I'm assuming it sounds much the same?

Check that- I just went to the website and listened to some of the audio files. Great stuff and a very nice sound you've got going. My wife and I were groovin'
  4. Thanks man! We enjoyed having you at the MFA a few weeks back.
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hey Bosco,
    Very cool of you to drop in and say hi. I really like your sound! Several months ago I picked up a copy of the Budos Band CD vith the volcano on the cover, totally at random, not knowing if it was new material or a vintage reissue, and was blown away! Are you playing bass on that one? If so, I love your tone and steady style. That's what I'm working towards.
    Killer stuff!

[EDIT:] my apologies, I answered my own question by looking on the back of the CD case (duh). Well, your buddy Daniel Foder has great tone too!
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    Well I guess we know SOMEONE did a self name search! :p

Thanks for dropping in and keeping the funk.
  7. bwbass

May 6, 2002
  8. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I'm gonna be seeing the dapkings on the 22nd, lookin forward to hearing ya bosco.
  9. Rattman

Jul 3, 2006
    Anaheim, Ca.
    Sharon Jones and the Dap-Kings were on "Austin City Limits" just last Saturday night. First time I've ever heard them. Their set and sound were both a real treat.

I got hooked on Bosco's bass right away, as it looks just like mine! Ya can't miss that early '70's Carvin vibe. The only apparent difference I saw between his SB60 and mine were the pickups: his pickups appear to be single coil with one row of screws. The pickups on my SB60 have double rows of screws. His model is 1972, mine is 1975.

10. gleventhal

Nov 30, 2011
    Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but once I was in France, on the first night of a 6 week tour with the New York Ska Jazz ensemble, and the stupid airline lost my bass. I was about to go on but had no bass, and I believe Sharon Jones was opening. Bosco lent me his bass (which felt WAY different than my MIM jazz bass), and right before the count in of our first tune, the airline van pulled up to this random venue and delivered my bass (thanks to Oh Lord productions). Bosco, you were a good dude to lend me that bass, even if I didn't end up playing it. Thanks!