Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name this bassline - Dr Dre sample

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by OneDrop76, Nov 1, 2005.

1. OneDrop76

OneDrop76

Jul 15, 2005
    Beltsville, MD
    From the Chronic album, where did the bassline from "Let me Ride" come from? If Dre or someone in his studio came up with it then they are badass, but I would assume it's a sample, anyone know the original tune?

2. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If it's the one I'm thinking about, then it's from Parliament/Funkadelic "Mothership Connection"

"....swing down, sweet chariot stop and, let me ride......."

Dre and Snoop sampled HEAVILY from George Clinton/Bootsy et al. (as did most rappers)

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    and WHY did lots of earlier rap artists sampled heavily from george clinton? his samples are cheap! When it comes to dishing out sample fodder he is a business man. He offers flat, low rates, full master tracks to work with, professional attitude and more.

Of course, back in the day, hip hop guys sampled things illegally. But as soon as it started to become legit 'favorites' popped up for the aforementioned reasons.

and well because parliament is massive funkay.

That said, the Chronic didn't actually sample all that much, rather, they recreated many old parliament grooves in the studio with a hybrid of live and sampled instruments.

4. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I might be wrong,but i thought george clinton didn't have control over his copyrights from that era.i know that they just had some kind of judgment in that case in the last year or so.

5. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Dr.Dre,
    Bass player is Mike Elizano, my man is very funky.

6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    It's highly possible. That could also explain why dre opted to recreate grooves, thus leaving them open for the possibility of 'fair use' alterations. But at the same time, they did a lot of fairly 1:1 translations, and ultimately it's not much different than sampling.

7. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    You are correct...this was just settled

8. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Am I dreaming or isn't Let Me Ride just about the exact same line Flea plays only he adds the octave pops (I forget the name of the song but think basstasters)?

9. Corwin

Corwin

May 8, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    Except that you only have to pay a royalty to the publisher instead of paying to license the recording which could cost you anywhere between a lot and infinity.

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    Yes it is similar to Aeroplane but then again flea was heavily influenced by George Clinton/Parliament too.

11. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    Very Heavily influenced by P-Funk, the name of the song is the Mothership Connection, the break down is were they go into "Swing Down Sweet Chariot Let Me Ride" which has to do with rhythm guitarist Glen Goins being terminally ill and in his last days.

Starchild here, citizens of the universe. ;)

12. rargirl

rargirl

Feb 18, 2008
    I was randomly playing with the fun little website Pandora today, and the Michael McDonald song "I Keep Forgettin'" came on. Instantly, I realized that this song is sampled in Dr. Dre's "Let Me Ride". I believe it is a direct sample. Give it a listen if you dare! Do you agree?

13. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I'm not sure about "The Chronic" but I'm pretty sure Dre uses all sounds he recorded rather than samples on "2001"

14. I must agree. Great goove on Mike! But I'm pretty sure he hooked up with Dre and Afhermath later on in the 90's.
    Which brings up a question I've been wonderring for a long time now. Who actually played on the early Death Row Records albums?
    Does anyone have any infomation on this. I heard a guy called Colin Wolfe but I know nothing about it.:bawl:

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Warren G sample that song, Dr. Dre's half brother.

16. Yes, Dre used "I Keep Forgettin'" as the main sample behind Warren G's "Regulate".

In fact, this was parodied to very funny effect in the Internet "behind the music" comedy series "Yacht Rock", episode 7.

The whole "Yacht Rock" series is awesome, check them all out.
    :D

17. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    Check out Elizondo's killer low-pass filter sound on this Warren G track: