1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Name this P bass copy (70s 80s Japan?)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DanAdams, Feb 9, 2019.

1. DanAdams

DanAdams Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2013
    Maine
    I'm pretty good with my Japanese history (only applying to bass guitars of the late 70s and early 80s) but this one is confusing me as the straight line of close knobs / no pickguard doesn't look familiar. That bridge screams early 80s Japan to me, but the neck seems too new... The controls cover / string through looks Hondo-ish doesn't it? Total Parts machine??? newer Korean??? I guess those pickups are more late 80s right???
    Screen Shot 2019-02-09 at 2.28.09 PM.
    At the risk of losing the deal, here is the listing. None of you are in Maine right??? :D
    Bass guitar P Bass Style with Hard Case

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  2. tpaul

tpaul Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2011
    Vermont
    Do those pickups say Schecter?

Looks like a parts bass to me.

3. Yeah, looks like a mishmash of parts to me. It does look like a Hondo bridge, who knows what the rest of it is

4. UNICORN BASS

UNICORN BASS

Feb 10, 2016
    Michigan USA
    Both Hondo and Epiphone brands used that style of bridge, possibly Samick built. I reckon 1980's but might be wrong, MIK for sure though. I like it!

Rabidhamster likes this.
  5. Rabidhamster

Rabidhamster

Jan 15, 2014
    Pickups say “Select by EMG”. I don’t like them at all, but some people find them acceptable for the price.

I wouldn’t be too surprised to find varietywood under that finish

6. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    I've also seen that style of string-through bridge on 2 Japanese "Lotus" basses from the '80s.

7. It's a Gaijin Narrow Bass. Their motto was 'Parts is Parts ! ! '