Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Name this product.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by coffee-sipper, Sep 9, 2004.

1. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    I am about to get rid of my combo amp and go with a MXR bass di (preamp) to go into a power amp then into a 4x 10 cab. Does anyone make a stompbox size (or just really-really small) power amp (like 100 to 200 watt)? I need a compact yet powerful rig as possible that is economical - ie easy to tote and light on the wallet but high quality.

I am not talking like rogue amp cheap - more along the lines of SWR workingmans affordable.

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    You should post this in the Amps forum since your question is about a power amp.

Off the top of my head, I'd say no. Small power amps are not easily affordable. I understand keeping things compact, but if you're already toting a 4x10, why does your amp have to be stompbox size?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Bingo. Beat me to it. On the move. :D

4. Tim__x

Tim__x

Aug 13, 2002
    Alberta, Canada
  5. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    So it fits in my pedal board case. Then I'll have cab, bass, and pedal board case. I sell stuff in a sketchy town (Raleigh) if I can have my cab in one hand bass in the other and pedal board with a strap on my back I don't have to leave anything unattended. -I am a big dude so the weight of the equip. isn't a prob. I could carry a 4x10 with one hand anyway (as long as its on wheels and isn't top heavy).

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Acoustic Image Focus is going to be one of the smallest and light weight under 5 Lbs with 600 watts at 4 ohm. Next would be a WW's amo. But not aware of anything smaller.

EDIT: Saw your last post and the Acoustic Image comes in a carring bag that has a shoulder strap.

heres pics
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Cool amp, but the price is not close to the SWR WM series.

8. I don't know this for a fact but it is my understanding that you will pay extra for smaller or lighter power amps. Kind of like how laptop computers cost more than desktops.

9. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    ok, now for option 2.

a combo of similar size to the SWR WM 15 but with 2X10 or 4x10 speakers. I haven't seen to many 4x10 combos.

option 3 would be to somehow permantly attach a rack to the 4x10 cab and put good wheel on the cab with some kind of handle like on an ampeg 6x10 cab.

option 4 would be to get a roadie but being a woodshedder/solo that isn't likely.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

How about an 8x10 combo?:D

[​IMG]

Nemesis by Eden also makes 410, 212, 210 and 115 combos that are very lightweight for the size and power. I have never heard or seen one in person though.

Hartke also makes a 410 combo.

11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland

GGGGRRRRRRRRRR :cool:

12. coffee-sipper

coffee-sipper

Jul 10, 2003
    Raleigh NC
    "How about an 8x10 combo?"

I don't think I could carry that with one hand!

13. i played a nemesis 210 combo once. it's pretty sweet. i would love to play another one again (and hopefully then buy it). i really enjoyed the time i played through it.

robb.

14. I think it was Jazz Ad, but I'm not sure, who uses 1 or 2 powered PA cabinets. I think they're Behringer B300's which are 15" + Horn @ 300 watts. Not much of a preamp, which means a fairly flat cabinet for your little preamp.

If I remember correctly, Jazzy uses a SansAmp Bddi for this setup.

Other powered PA speakers are the JBL Eons, but then you're getting a bit expensive. Peavey also makes the PR15 which is a 15" @ 270 watts.

Then there's the Ashdown Mag C410-T... 300 watt, 4x10 and the Hartke VX3500 4x10 combo.

15. I would recommend the AI Focus as well, but since it's out of your price range, then consider a used AI Clarus instead. 5 lbs. (like the Focus) 120w @8 ohms, 200w @4 ohms, 300w @2 ohms. (www.acousticimage.com)

IMO, one of the Top 5 best sounding amps on www.basstasters.com (in some cases, it's the best - depends on bass). Or is this still out of your price range?

Sean

16. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC